Temporary Flight Restrictions and bad job done by the FAA

Since 9/11 TFRs (Temporary Flight Restrictions) have been the very popular
three letters in the FAA's eyes. FAA, being pressured by the government,
cabinet and TSA has come up with different TFRs.

However, the way the FAA handles all this caused a lot of innocent pilots
punished, some being escorted by the figthers. Not only that, the
restrictions
put together by the TSA are so immediate that some of them are being issued
after they are in effect.

Here's the letter written by the president of AOPA (Aircraft Owners and
Pilots Association) Phil Boyer to the FAA. It doesn't sound that friendly
at all....

September 25, 2002

Ms. Marion Blakey
Administrator
Federal Aviation Administration
800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20591

Dear Administrator Blakey,

Now that we are beyond numerous changes from the heat of the battle of 9/11,
I am writing to you regarding the procedures, or lack thereof, used by the
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the Transportation Security Agency
(TSA) in closing College Park Airport and Potomac Airfield, in Maryland on
the days surrounding the first anniversary of September 11th. On Tuesday,
September 10th, Admiral Loy of the TSA took the positive initiative to setup
a conference call with industry officials to outline the heightened state of
security announced by the White House. Included in his remarks to those of
us who participated, and validated by me personally as a question to TSA's
chief, we were told the two GA airports close to the nation's capital would
indeed be closed. It was certainly anticipated that official notification of
these closures would be forthcoming.

It was disappointing that the FAA waited to contact AOPA until Tuesday
evening, much later than my call with the TSA to inform us that the airports
would be closed through September 12th. However, most disturbing was FAA
telling us that that no notice to airmen (Notam) would be issued. Of even
greater concern, is that a decision was made to extend the closure through
Friday the 13th, but again, no attempt was made to notify pilots. The
closure extension notice came from the FAA to the two affected airport
managers, through last minute phone calls.

AOPA hopes that this chain of events is not an indication of what can be
expected in the future from the FAA and TSA. The lack of formal notification
to pilots through the Notam system is unacceptable. Notams provide the only
official notification to pilots regarding last minute changes to the
National Airspace System (NAS). Further, had pilots consulted the published
Notams, they would have found that Notam 2/8367 clearly stating that the
airspace around Washington was closed only during the time of the Pentagon
ceremony (8:30 to 1100 local time).

The Association and its members want to abide by the ever-changing airspace
and airport restrictions in order to assist FAA and TSA in contributing to
homeland security. But, issuing flight restrictions without communicating
those restrictions to the pilot community through the Notam system — the one
centralized place where pilots should be able to find them — only serves to
create violations of the restrictions.

For the safety and security of all, we would appreciate your effort to
ensure that this type of situation does not reoccur.

Sincerely,

Phil Boyer

Cc: Admiral James Loy — Transportation Security Administration

BAHA ACUNER - CFI,CFII,MEI