From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU]On Behalf Of
Mike Gammon
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 5:39 PM
To: AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: A non-aviation posting

You should try a Cherokee 140 on a high density altitude day.  I recently
took mine out at full gross, from a 3000' density altitude strip (1400 ft
actual altitude).  It was a gravel strip, 3000 ft long with trees at the end
and gently upsloping terrain beyond.  The book numbers, factoring in 10%
extra for the gravel runway (it was a no-wind day) said 2750 ft to clear a
50' obstacle, using a max. angle of climb speed of 78 mph.  You'd normally
think a 3000' strip was enough for a Cherokee in Eastern Canada but in this
case, it was marginal to say the least.  At least when we coaxed it up to
5500' for the 1 hr or so cruise home, we could nurse about 128 mph true out
of her at 75% power.  For a Cherokee 140, anything over 110 mph is gravy!
Book value gives pretty close to 130 mph under those conditions and it's
amazing that a 26-y.o. bird could still produce that close to book.

Now imagine a 140 with air conditioning.  Believe it or not they actually
offered this option and when it was turned on, a big trap door opened up
outside, dragging in the wind, to send air through the condenser.  No wonder
the manual said to turn it off until well past your obstacle clearing
height.  Mine, fortunately is not so equipped.  The useful load of a 140 is
bad enough without it.

Mike "dreaming of a bigger plane" Gammon