United CEO pledges to work with labor on turnaround

United CEO pledges to work with labor on turnaround
By Marilyn Adams, USA TODAY

The new CEO of troubled United Airlines reached out to the carrier's
powerful labor unions Tuesday, but there remains a wide gulf between the
size of cost cuts United wants and what labor is willing to give. Glenn
Tilton, the former vice chairman of ChevronTexaco, was named Monday as
United's chairman and CEO, weeks before the world's second-largest airline
has said it might have to seek Chapter 11 protection from creditors. "I'm
looking forward to working with all of you to find the right way to get
this company moving forward again," Tilton said Tuesday in a taped message
to workers. "One of my first jobs is to sit down with our unions to talk
about the problems we share and get their help." But labor's plan is likely
to look much different from the company's demand last week for $1.5 billion
a year in labor cost cuts to help United qualify for a $1.8 billion federal
loan guarantee. Today, in a rare joint session, leaders of unions
representing pilots, mechanics, flight attendants and others meet to
discuss ways to cut costs and find financing to keep United out of
bankruptcy. Employees own 55% of United.

United, which has lost nearly $3 billion from the beginning of 2001 to the
middle of this year, says it has been locked out of traditional capital
markets since Sept. 11 and is facing an $875 million debt payment this fall
that it might not be able to make. Union leaders have questioned whether
the Bush administration is pushing an anti-labor agenda by demanding United
make such deep cuts in labor costs to get the loan guarantee.  "We know the
application (for federal loan guarantees) has to be revised and that, minus
a recovery plan, the capital markets are closed to us today," says Air Line
Pilots Association head Paul Whiteford, who sits on United's board. "We
just don't believe $1.5 billion is the correct target."  Among other
things, ALPA's financial consultants think United's revenue projections,
which haven't been made public, are too pessimistic, he says, so they are
developing their own. Other unions aren't convinced a government loan
guarantee will be United's only option if cost cuts are negotiated. "This
airline has a lot of assets it can leverage," says Jeff Zack, the flight
attendants' spokesman. "We don't think employees giving up $9 billion over
six years for a $2 billion loan makes sense. We're going to work on
developing a plan. We don't think United has done everything it could to
improve its situation." The meeting convenes today amid intense pressure.
United has set a mid-September deadline to revise its loan application or
pursue a bankruptcy filing. Now, rumors of new employee layoffs are on
union Web sites. Mechanics in one maintenance center were told by a
facility manager to expect hundreds of layoff notices in September unless
concessions are made.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(MBH) http://maracasbay.com/
(Maracas Bay Hotel)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt