Air travel out of tune for musicians

By Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY

Catching a flight to a gig comes as naturally to saxophonist Bruce Mishkit=
=20
as blowing a jazz riff. So the musician was shocked last February when=20
Alaska Airlines forced him to buy a full-fare ticket for his tenor sax and=
=20
then instructed him, on the plane, to stow the instrument in the overhead=20
bin. After some letter writing and an assist from the musician's union,=20
Mishkit got a refund. But the experience sounded a sour note. "They gave me=
=20
no assurances that it wouldn't happen again," he says. The post-Sept. 11=20
world has traveling musicians humming the blues as they navigate airport=20
security. Guitarists, violinists and woodwind players, used to toting their=
=20
expensive and delicate instruments on planes, say the process is=20
complicated by:
=B7       Inconsistent policies. Airline policies vary when it comes to what=
=20
musical instruments can be stowed on planes.
Alaska Airlines has relaxed the policy that forced Mishkit to buy a ticket=
=20
for his sax. Now, any musical instrument that can reasonably fit in the=20
overhead bin is allowed.  United Airlines also allows instruments "within=20
reason," spokesman Chris Brathwaite says American Airlines says its policy=
=20
is the same for any carry-on: No instrument case can be longer than 45=20
inches on any side.
=B7       Fewer accessories. No longer do musicians carry screwdrivers,=20
string cutters and other accessories in their cases. Boston-based recording=
=20
artist Johnny A. says he had to surrender a special wire cutter that he has=
=20
carried in his guitar case for years at Boston Logan International. He had=
=20
never seen another cutter like that one before the incident, "and I've=20
never found one since," he says.  Cellists have learned they need to detach=
=20
the end pin, a sharp metal peg that keeps their instrument from sliding on=
=20
the floor, and carry it in their checked luggage.
=B7       Tougher scrutiny. Musicians say they fear checkpoint guards will=
=20
damage instruments or equipment.

Emerson Hart, lead singer of the rock band Tonic, says a checkpoint worker=
=20
in Philadelphia asked him to remove the strings from his $6,000 Gibson=20
guitar. He said he told the worker that taking off the strings could damage=
=20
the guitar, especially given the pressures that the plane would encounter=20
at cruising altitude. The guard eventually relented. "I've actually cut=20
down carrying my guitar now. It's such a hassle," says the Nashville-based=
=20
Hart, who flies about 150,000 miles a year. "I see all these guys walking=20
on the plane with their laptops. It's their work. And this is my work."A=20
singer who goes only by the name Steely, based in Huntington Beach, Calif.,=
=20
says the $4,000 voice transmitter that she carries with her on planes=20
received so much scrutiny at a checkpoint in Los Angeles International that=
=20
she thought, "My god, they are going to wreck this thing." On the way back=
=20
from Pittsburgh, she says security workers didn't give it a second glance.

After hearing of these kinds of incidents involving its members, the=20
American Federation of Musicians is pushing for new airport security=20
regulations that take musicians into account. "We want language in the=20
rules that will give the same guidance to every airline," says union=20
President Thomas Lee. Musicians, he says, have few options when it comes to=
=20
transporting their instruments. Putting a $100,000 violin "in the belly of=
=20
a plane where it may be subjected to extreme temperatures or pressure would=
=20
damage the instrument." Lee says he has written to the new Transportation=20
Security Administration to urge regulations regarding transportation of=20
musical instruments in airplane cabins.

Agency spokesman David Steigman says, "TSA is constantly looking at its=20
policies to be as customer- and service-friendly as we can." That's little=
=20
consolation for Mishkit, who says he's now never quite sure what to expect=
=20
when he arrives at the airport. He says he'd flown with horns 30 or 40=20
times over the years and had never had a problem. Some musicians, however,=
=20
don't depend on airline policies to get their instruments on the plane.=20
They play on their popularity. Acoustic guitarist Dimitri Diatchenko says=20
he takes his guitar out in the airport lounge and starts to strum. "I=20
usually get a crowd of folks who dig the entertainment while they wait.=20
Airline employees all hear ... how good I am, and they let me go and put my=
=20
guitar in the overhead. That's that."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(MBH) http://maracasbay.com/
(Maracas Bay Hotel)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt