Trip Report: Hawaiian HNL-ITO

  http://smail.info - free e-mail service, smtp, pop3, imap4, ssl !

My brother and I went to Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii earlier this
week to visit the volcano.  If you have a pressing desire to go stick
your fingers in molten hot lava, head out there since it is now a
relatively easy and short walk to get to.  Of course you don't really
want to put your fingers in it, but you can get that close.

HNL = Honolulu, Oahu
ITO = Hilo, Big Island

Our outbound flight was changed a couple of times.  Buying the tickets
the day before we flew, we had initially booked on flight 382 departing
at 9:40am.  However as soon as we got home from the travel agent, there
was a message on the answering machine and I had to take care of some
business the next afternoon at 2:30pm, so my brother called Hawaiian and
changed us to flight 282 departing at 5:44pm. I actually got my business
taken care of a bit early and we headed to the airport and wound up on...

28 August HA222 HNL-ITO 3:25pm-4:16pm 717-22A N484HA seats 6DF
Arrived at the airport and went to drive-thru check in.  Gave them our
checked bag and got our boarding passes.  This was the day before the
two questions were officially suspended, but he didn't ask them.  Went
and parked the car, and went up to the terminal and to security.  Short
line on the Hawaiian side, no line on the Aloha side, guess which we
went through. :P  Interesting note:  Aloha side has a sign that they
don't need to see your ID at the security checkpoint, just your
ticket/boarding pass.  But the Hawaiian side says they need both.  Went
to gate 56, and after a few minutes they started boarding.  Usually
people have already lined up when boarding is announced, but not this
time.  The flight was at most 1/4 full, probably even less.  My brother
and I took the 3-seat side so we could have an empty seat between us.
Prerecorded pre-departure announcements were made first in Hawaiian,
then a longer one in English.  Seemed like we were ready to go rather
early but they probably had other things to do (final pre-departure
checks, load last bags, etc).  Pushed back from the gate 2 minutes early
at 3:23pm.  Taxied to runway 8L, where we were #2 for departure
following an Aloha 737-200.  In flight service was the usual, though the
pre-recorded announcement now mentions water as a beverage option.  Flew
the usual approach along the Hamakua Coast and touched down on runway 8
at 4:08pm, 8 minutes early.  The pilots just managed to make the exit
and avoid having to taxi the full length of the runway.  We pulled into
gate 8 and got off.  Visited the restroom and when we came out our bag
was circling on the baggage claim, so we grabbed it and headed over to
Thrifty Rent a Car to pick up our Neon.  I'm 0 for 3 with these by the
way, also had Neons on my Kauai and Maui trips earlier this summer, and
all three have had problems.  I tried to rent an Economy car (cheaper
than a Neon, something like a Daewoo Lanos) but the only Lanos they had
was already broken so they had to give me a Neon.  Either that or pay
more and get a VW Jetta.

Visited the volcano that night.  It's really neat, and for those who are
interested I'd recommend getting out there before the lava flow moves
again and gets harder to get to.  Because of this, Hilo has been
unusually busy, sometimes even selling out of rental cars and having
most flights booked, especially on weekends.

Next day we visited some of my brother's high school friends and
teachers, and about an hour before our scheduled flight departure we
figured we'd better head back to the airport.  Ahh, Hilo... :D

29 August HA251 ITO-HNL 3:56pm-4:43pm 717-22A N486HA seats 22EF
For once, I was actually going to fly on the flight I had originally
booked!  There were a few people ahead of us in line to check in, along
with a rather strange sign that indicated that plants being brought to
another island had to be checked by Department of Agriculture agents
prior to check in.  Our parents had asked us to bring back some flowers
since they're much cheaper in Hilo than on Oahu, so my brother went to
the agents and asked, they said they didn't need to be checked.  We
checked in for the flight and went to security.  Also a line to get
through there; my brother was told to dump the small amount of water
that was in the bottom of the flowers so that delayed him.  Got through
security and went to the line of people who were waiting for the flight
to board.  Hilo has only a single large lounge, when the flight is
called you go up the escalator to where the gates actually are.  When
our flight was called we went up, and saw people were still getting off
the plane.  We waited in line there for a few minutes, then boarded.
The flight was full, I couldn't see any empty seats.  My brother and I
sat together on the three side (on the two side it was full up to maybe
the last row), as it was we were in row 22, which is just behind the
wing.  We pulled out of the gate at 4:07pm, 9 minutes behind schedule.
Taxied to runway 8 which we entered at intersection B, and took off for
HNL.

I noticed something interesting while sitting in Hilo.  First I saw a
business jet depart on the 26 direction, then an Aloha 737-200 taxied
out and used the 8 direction.  Then we taxied out and headed for 8, and
just as we turned onto the runway I saw a Cessna twin of Hawaii Air
Ambulance taxi off the runway after landing 26.

Well, anyway after taking off we flew for a while, there were a few
bumps on the  way up to cruise altitude.  It was overcast of the first
part of the trip; things started to clear up over the island of Lanai.
In flight beverage service was the same as the outbound flight.  As I
had a view of Lanai City Airport (LNY) out my window, we started our
descent.  Took the channel approach and touched down on runway 8L at
4:48pm, 5 minutes behind schedule.  Taxied to gate 61, claimed our bag,
and headed home.

--
David Mueller / HNL
davidm@smail.info