Re: Newark International Airport name change, lease are approved

At 09:05 AM 8/30/2002 -0400, Leo wrote:
>Will Newark chance it's 3 letter code?

I'd bet that Newark won't change its 3 letter code; it's too disruptive to
the industry to change 3 (or 4) letter codes, so such changes are rare and
notorious. The only one I can think of it IDL becoming JFK. Congress didn't
force DCA to become REA, RWR or RGN when it forced the airport to adopt the
former President's name, nor did IAH's code change when they named the
airport after George I. The main airport's code in Chicago is still an
abbreviation of its prior name, ORcharD. Orlando's airport still bears the
abbreviation of the AFB it used to be, McCoy. Even when an airport is
replaced, it retains the code of its predecessor (HKG, DEN).

And, most of all, most of the public would neither notice nor care.

Nick