Re: The "sports car" of commercial airliners

Think of the DC-9 as "sports car" in the MG/Miata/Toyota MR2 tradition.

Think of the B717...er 'scuse me, the DC-9-95, as the Ferrari of airliners.  Close to the same airframe as a DC9-30 or 40, but instead of a wheezing 14,000 lbs or so of thrust, think 18500-21000 lbs BMW-RR engines depending on gross-weight version (basic is 18500 for 110,000lbs gross, 21000 lbs for 121000 lbs gross).

Actually, that being said, I think you could make a case for the CRJ-200 being the "new sports car".  It's a bit of a slug getting off the ground (no slats), but once in the air, climbs like a scared cat and seems to manoeuver like a Lear...I imagine its Brazilian competitor is similar.

Mike Gammon