SF Gate: Now that US Airways has filed for bankruptcy, investors and travelers are asking: IS UNITED NEXT?

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/c/a/2002/08/13/MN79877.DTL
Tuesday, August 13, 2002 (SF Chronicle)
Now that US Airways has filed for bankruptcy, investors and travelers are a=
sking: IS UNITED NEXT?
David Armstrong, Chronicle Staff Writer

   Is United Airlines next?
   Amid growing concern that the nation's second-largest carrier might soon
follow US Airways into bankruptcy, investors on Monday throttled down its
parent company's shares by 27 percent to $3.80. UAL Corp. stock traded at
$35 a year ago.
   A company spokesman declined to comment on industry speculation that
United,
   the Bay Area's dominant carrier and a major employer with 16,000 local
workers, would file for Chapter 11 protection as US Airways did on Sunday.
Such a move would enable United to keep flying while it takes steps to cut
its high operating costs.
   United has lost $2.95 billion since January 2001 and is burning through =
an
additional $1 million a day. The company, based in Elk Grove Village,
Ill., has applied for $1.8 billion in federal loan guarantees, but
analysts say securing the loans is far from certain.
   "While we continue to believe that UAL will ultimately secure financing,
the US Airways model suggests that it is more likely to be in the context
of bankruptcy that we had initially assessed," said Sam Buttrick, a
leading industry analyst with UBS Warburg in New York.
   United spokesman Chris Brathwaite said: "We won't comment on speculation.
   "We're focused on our recovery and on our loan application before the Air
Transportation Stabilization Board. Anybody who speculates otherwise is
simply Monday-morning quarterbacking."
   United confirmed last week that it had retained bankruptcy lawyers after
the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, which had a declining effect on its
business.
   Jack Creighton, UAL's interim chairman, recently told employees in
telephone message: "One thing we know for certain is United Airlines will
continue to fly through it all." Separately, Creighton has conceded that
the government appears likely to reject the company's bid for loan
guarantees.
   In addition to US Airways, the nation's seventh-largest carrier, several
domestic carriers have sought refuge from creditors under bankruptcy court
protection.
   Continental Airlines emerged from Chapter 11 a decade ago as a leaner and
much healthier company. America West also continued to operate
independently after emerging from bankruptcy. Trans World Airlines filed
for Chapter 11 and was subsequently acquired by American Airlines.
   LAYOFFS EXPECTED AT AMERICAN
   Today, American itself is expected to announce a number of cost-cutting
moves. They include up to 8,000 layoffs over time and the grounding of its
fleet of 74 small Fokker jets, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and the Dallas
Morning News report in today's editions.
   As for United, experts say the airline would cut a number of daily fligh=
ts
under a bankruptcy filing but continue to carry out maintenance
operations. Frequent flier programs would be honored, but it might be
difficult getting particular flights.
   United has suffered from plummeting revenue, especially from business
travelers, who are increasingly turning to video conferencing, the
Internet and cars and trains instead of short-haul flights.
   In addition, United has been badly hurt by the events of Sept. 11, in
which two United jetliners were hijacked, along with two American Airlines
planes.
   MAJOR BAY AREA PRESENCE
   Even before the terrorist attacks, United -- which operates a hub at SFO,
is a major presence at Oakland International Airport and operates at
Mineta San Jose International Airport -- was hemorrhaging cash.
   United lost $2.1 billion in 2001, an aviation industry record. In the
first six months of this year, United lost an additional $851 million,
which analysts attribute in large part to its labor costs, which are among
the highest in the industry.
   Employees hold 55 percent of UAL stock and several seats on the company's
board of directors. Creighton has repeatedly said that the company needs
to obtain wage cuts before it can return to profitability.
   United's travails are having an unsettling effect on some travelers.
   Passengers at SFO on Monday said they'd be especially concerned about
flight availability if United were to follow US Airways into Chapter 11.
   "I would be concerned if they cut back on flights," said Hans Hoffmann,
who was returning to Seattle after a weekend in the Bay Area with his
family. The Microsoft sales representative is a frequent traveler. "I
think the airline would continue running, and I would find it hard to
believe they would cut back on maintenance," he said. "That's the top
priority at all airlines."
   Harry Hunt, a psychology professor at Brock University in St. Catharines,
Ontario, usually flies on Air Canada, a United partner.
   "I would worry it would make Air Canada prices go up," he said. "The
Canadian dollar is already so bad against the U.S. dollar; it's expensive
for us to come here."
   SEEKING LOAN GUARANTEES
   Officially, United remains focused on obtaining loan guarantees from
Washington.
   The carrier applied for $1.8 billion in federally backed loans in June.
The guarantees are distinct from the $5 billion bailout package that
Washington gave the airline industry shortly after the Sept. 11 attacks.
That money does not have to be repaid.
   Creighton said in a message recorded Sunday that based on conversations =
in
Washington, "We've gotten the clear feeling that we need more
participation from all of our stake-holders in our cost-cutting efforts"
before the loan guarantees can be approved. "They have indicated to us
that participation must be broader, deeper and longer."
   United's pilots have agreed to conditional wage cuts as part of the
financial recovery plan, but mechanics and flight attendants have not.
   Even the loan guarantees would not ensure that United can avoid
bankruptcy. Indeed, federal loans could be made an integral part of a
bankruptcy reorganization, said Buttrick of UBS Warburg. He added that a
federal bankruptcy judge could void existing union contracts and even the
employee stock ownership plan if he deemed it necessary. Typically,
shareholders are wiped out in a bankruptcy reorganization.
   US Airways' Chapter 11 filing may make it more difficult for United to
avoid bankruptcy, analyst Ray Neidl suggested.
   "I'm coming around to believing that UAL will go into Chapter 11 if they
don't get major cost concessions pretty quickly -- at least by the end of
the year," Neidl, of Blaylock and Partners, told the Associated Press.
"This probably further tightens capital markets for them and is going to
make it tougher" to get needed financing.
   "This is drawing a lot more attention to the fact that even with this lo=
an
guarantee program, it doesn't mean United would be saved," Morningstar
analyst Jonathan Schroeder told the Associated Press.
   "They have a lot more cash than US Airways and more resources they can
draw upon," Schroeder said. "But they're still losing hundreds of millions
of dollars, and they have some debt repayment (totaling $900 million)
coming up in the fourth quarter."

   Chronicle staff writer Carolyn Said and Chronicle news services
contributed to this report. / E-mail David Armstrong at
davidarmstrong@sfchronicle. com. United's troubles by the numbers=20
   2,950,000,000: Amount of money UAL, United's parent company, has lost si=
nce=20
January 2001, in dollars
   86,000: Number of employees
   16,000: Number of employees in the Bay Area
   180: Number of flights per day at SFO=20=20
   20: Number of flights per day at Oakland airport
   6: Number of flights per day San Jose airport
   Sources: UAL Corp., Chronicle research
<BR><HR>
UAL's falling stock price
   The stock of UAL, United's parent, was struggling before 9/11. Then thin=
gs=20
got worse.
   $39.63: Closing price of UAL stock on Jan. 2, 2001
    $3.80: Monday's closing price of UAL stock

Copyright 2002 SF Chronicle