NYTimes.com Article: Uncertainty Among US Airways Customers

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

Uncertainty Among US Airways Customers

August 13, 2002
By DONNA ROSATO

Uncertainty about what US Airways will look like when it
emerges from bankruptcy protection left corporate travel
managers and business travelers anxious yesterday about
making flight plans and using frequent-flier miles. But
there was no sign of a rush away from bookings on the
airline.

"Our people aren't calling and canceling reservations on US
Airways," said Peter Buchheit, director of travel and
meeting services at Black & Decker, which is based near
Baltimore, the seventh-biggest airport for US Airways, with
55 departures a day. "But it's a little dicey for the long
term."

Black & Decker's dealings with US Airways reflect the
challenges facing the carrier, which filed for Chapter 11
bankruptcy protection on Sunday. The tool manufacturer has
cut its employees' flights on US Airways by 44 percent over
the last year. In part, that is because US Airways has
reduced flights from Baltimore, but Black & Decker has also
greatly increased its use of low-fare carriers, including
Southwest Airlines and AirTran.

"US Airways has considerable hurdles to overcome in terms
of labor costs, and they have a lot of competition from
low-cost carriers," Mr. Buchheit said. "We work very
closely with US Airways and we'll continue to be supportive
of them, but we'll have to wait and see."

Among the issues that travel managers are watching is how
US Airways plans to reshape itself in the bankruptcy
process.

"If you're a company and you're thinking of using US
Airways for a meeting next May, you're going to be leery
about booking with them, because you don't know what kind
of route structure or frequency they're going to have
then," said Kevin Mitchell, president of the Business
Travel Coalition, an advocacy group for buyers of business
travel services.

Airline industry analysts expect US Airways to shrink its
hubs in Charlotte, N.C., and Pittsburgh, reducing both the
number of destinations and frequency of flights from those
cities. The airline is also expected to shift more flying
away from its big jets to more cost-efficient regional
jets.

US Airways declined yesterday to comment on details of its
restructuring plans. " Certainly, a carrier that is
reorganizing under Chapter 11 becomes a smaller carrier,
and we expect that we will have to shrink the airline
somewhat," said David Castelveter, a US Airways spokesman.

Still, some experts said that US Airways might be able to
expand service over all through the code-sharing agreement
with United Airlines that it recently announced. The
agreement - which could be blocked by the federal
Department of Transportation if it were judged
anticompetitive - would allow the two carriers to sell each
others' flights as if they were their own.

"US Airways itself will get smaller, but it will be able to
offer more service through United," said Morris Garfinkle,
chief executive of GCW, an airline industry consulting firm
in Arlington, Va. He added that he expected the government
to approve the code-sharing agreement.

Travelers can also take comfort from the partnership that
US Airways has struck with the Texas Pacific Group to help
it in its restructuring, Mr. Garfinkle said. The equity
group, led by David Bonderman, has agreed to invest $200
million in US Airways once it emerges from Chapter 11, in
exchange for a 38 percent stake in the carrier and seats on
the board of the restructured airline.

"If Mr. Bonderman has his nose under the tent, this will be
a tent that's around for a long time," Mr. Garfinkle said.
He noted Mr. Bonderman's strong track record investing in
other troubled airlines, including Continental Airlines,
which he helped lead out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy
protection in 1993.

US Airways took pains to assure travelers that there would
be no immediate changes in its operations and that its
frequent-flier program would be unaffected by the
bankruptcy filing. But not everyone was comforted.

"As soon as I heard about the bankruptcy filing, I thought
I better start using my frequent-flier miles," said
Margaret Bowles, a member of the most elite level of the
airline's frequent-flier program.

Ms. Bowles, a commercial real estate lawyer who lives in
Boston and flies US Airways once a week to Tampa, Fla., has
more than 800,000 US Airways Dividend Miles points. "I may
have to donate some to charity," she said.

Other frequent fliers said they would hesitate to book with
US Airways. "I'd be more skeptical of flying them for fear
of getting stranded somewhere or just them canceling
flights," said Gina Maddox, a communications coach and
speaker who lives in Pensacola, Fla., and flies around the
United States two and a half weeks out of every month.

Generally, though, concern about the airline's future was
muted.

"Right now, this is a nonevent for the traveling public,"
said Hal Rosenbluth, chief executive of Rosenbluth
International, one of the biggest corporate travel
management companies, with more than 1,500 corporate
clients.

Mr. Rosenbluth said that his company fielded some calls
from clients yesterday seeking information about US Airways
but that there few cancellations or requests to be
rerouted.

"Our clients recognize that the dust hasn't settled yet,"
he said. "They want to know what the new airline will look
like" when it emerges from Chapter 11.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/13/business/media/13FLY.html?ex=1030244585&ei=1&en=50c97431a713b3e4

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company