If Baha and I lost....

Suppose the TSA accepts the simple-minded premise that ethnic and religious
profiling should be used to screen airline passengers.

Would we realize it?

Would the TSA announce this publicly, or would they quietly refuse to
confirm or deny that they use profiling? Maybe they'd even try to appease
Arab-Americans, Muslim Americans, and our nominal allies in the Islamic
world by denying that they use profiling. But since the TSA doesn't publish
statistics on who gets extra scrutiny at airport security check points, we
wouldn't be able to prove or disprove that ethnic, racial, or religious
profiling would be in use.

Would this mean that people who don't fit the profiles never get extra
scrutiny, or would a smaller percentage of little old ladies, Senators, and
the infirm get some scrutiny after all? I say there would be some scrutiny
of even the least likely candidates, in case they've been duped (or
blackmailed) by Bad Guys into carrying "bad things" past a security
checkpoint or in case the allegedly old, infirm, or Famous-and-Important
are really imposters.

I think it's already happening. I'm sure Baha doesn't like it; neither do
I. But I think some of the vocal "I'm not a racist, but...." voices can
quiet down; they've won, even as the absurd cases like GI Joe's 2" gun
continue to surface.

Prove me wrong. Or stop spewing your suspicions and animosity against these
width swaths of "different" people.

I'm not defending the TSA. Airport screeners have done some stupid things.
I never did understand the nail file policy, and I agree with the cynical
assessment that most of what we're seeing is window dressing, not effective
security measures. But this constant ranting about how the TSA isn't doing
it right at all seems to be based on some underlying assertions that can
never be proven or disproved.

Security successes are rarely visible. Goofs, like the mother with the
bottled breast milk, are too often visible. It doesn't mean that all that's
visible is all there is.

So stop yelling and ranting and raving and try to present your agenda
without red herrings and strawmen attached.

Just a thought,
Nick