Re: American Airlines to try rolling hubs

Re-read my e-mail.  I said Southwest does not have hubs in the usual sense
of the word.

However, after doing some more research, I am changing it to state that
Southwest does NOT have.hubs, although it does have cities with a large
number of flights with a side-effect of having a large number of connections
available.  There is a subtle difference.  An airline with a true hub system
will have peaks and valleys in aircraft arrival/departures.  For example, an
airline may have many flights arrive,say, between 0930 and 1000 and a large
number of departures between 1045 and 1115 then not have another aircraft
land for 1 or 2 hours. The process is then repeated again.

In a usual hub-and-spoke system, the odds of making a connection outside of
the hub city are very small.  With WN, you could be making a connection at
several different cities.

Here's some examples of published connections 9 Sep

Las Vegas-Baltimore
Southwest: BNA, PHX, SLC
American: ORD, DFW, STL

Oakalnd-Tampa
Southwest: PHX, MCI, MSY, SAT, MDW, LAS
American: DFW

Seattle-Kansas City
Southwest: SMF, LAS, PHX, ABQ
American: DFW, ORD, STL

Kansas City-Ontario
Southwest: LAS, OKC, PHX, SLC
American: DFW, STL

So my point remains that Southwest's hubs are not hubs in the usual sense.
If you notice the flights above, Southwest has connecting flights at a wide
variety of airports while American does it only at 3 airports. You will find
similar results with the other major airlines.

Profile of Southwest Airlines at Yahoo (http://biz.yahoo.com/p/l/luv.html)
"Southwest Airlines Co. is a domestic airline that provides primarily
short-haul, high-frequency, point-to-point, low-fare service. Southwest
focuses principally on point-to-point, rather than hub-and-spoke service..."

Wallst.net (http://www.wallst.net/archives_audio.php?sector_id=6)
"Southwest focuses principally on point-to-point, rather than
hub-and-spoke...)

Flug Revue (http://www.flug-revue.rotor.com/FRHeft/FRH9907/FR9907g.htm)  "We
are just focussing on the local traffic and offer non stop flights to places
people wish to go. We are not interested in transit passengers", explains
(Peter) McGlade (vice president of scheduling). In contrast to all the other
big US airlines Southwest does not use a hub, but several regional centres:
Most flights depart from Phoenix, followed by Houston-Hobby, Las Vegas and
only then Dallas Love Field. A real hub would contradict Southwest's
philosophy: One would have to wait here for connecting flights, which might
be late, and time wasting transfers could not be avoided. Despite this about
15 per cent of all passengers put up with a short stop, if they are able to
get from coast to coast and back cheaply, maybe from Baltimore to Oakland.
This costs $356 with Southwest, others demand $850."

How Stuff Works - "How Airlines Work"
(http://www.howstuffworks.com/airline3.htm)  "Not all airlines use the
hub-and-spoke approach. For example, Southwest Airlines is one of the
exceptions to the hub-and-spoke network system. It uses the old-fashioned
point-to-point system, hauling people short distances with few connecting
flights. However, Southwest offers very few non-stop flights on longer
routes. At the end of 2000, Southwest served approximately 306 one-way,
non-stop city pairs. It's point-to-point system provides a more direct route
than a hub-and-spoke airline can offer. "

BNA: Nashville
PHX: Phoenix
OKC: Oklahoma City
SLC: Salt Lake City