US Airways pilot knows uncertainty

By Barbara De Lollis, USA TODAY

While US Airways teeters on the edge of bankruptcy, many of its employees=20
are learning to live with uncertainty. This week, US Airways' pilots and=20
flight attendants are voting on new contracts with wage and benefit=20
cutbacks that would save the airline billions of dollars over the next=20
seven years. More is riding on their decisions than paychecks. For people=20
like pilot Rich Pfenninger, a first officer who's 15th from the bottom of=20
the pilot seniority list, careers are on the line, too. US Airways'=20
downsizing plans mean some people will lose jobs no matter how the votes=20
go. Pfenninger is one of them. But if the proposed contracts are voted=20
down, even more people could lose their jobs. After the attacks of Sept.=20
11, US Airways laid off nearly a quarter of its 46,000 employees. The=20
airline has lost money for much of the past 10 years, but its problems are=
=20
deepening. Management is trying to slash costs with the help of its unions=
=20
and lenders and promises to reorganize in bankruptcy court if all parties=20
don't cooperate. "Up until Sept. 11, things couldn't have been more=20
perfect," Pfenninger says. "I've been with the company five years now, and=
=20
I'm making pretty good money. I'm engaged. My fiancee wants to get married=
=20
soon, and we want to have a baby, but that's all on hold."

If Pfenninger sounds cautious, it's because he's been furloughed three=20
times in his career already, the latest more than a decade ago at US=20
Airways, and he's still junior enough to be considered vulnerable. US=20
Airways' pilots union estimates that at least 500 pilots could be=20
furloughed, which would ground pilots who have been flying for US Airways=20
as long as 13 years. Possibly twice as many pilots could be furloughed if=20
the airline reorganizes in bankruptcy court. "I haven't had one good=20
night's sleep," Pfenninger says. "I'm 42 years old. Every airline is=20
furloughing pilots. I don't have the time to go back to school and get=20
retrained. I want to get on with my life." If the concessions pacts are=20
approved, pilots would take a 26% annual pay cut. For Pfenninger =97 a=
 Boeing=20
737 first officer =97 his annual salary would go from about $129,000 to=20
$95,000 a year if he works full time. Pfenninger thought he had paid his=20
dues. He worked his way through flight school and flew for commuter=20
airlines =97 Wings Airways, a commuter near Philadelphia, and Suburban=20
Airlines, a US Airways commuter, and American Eagle, an American Airlines=20
commuter =97 before getting hired by US Airways at the onset of the Gulf War=
=20
and recession in 1991. He lasted 10 months before receiving a pink slip. He=
=20
worked odd jobs for nearly eight years =97 tending bar, driving big rigs,=20
selling insurance, landscaping =97 while waiting for the call to come back.=
=20
While other pilots looked for jobs with cargo carriers or pursued new=20
careers, Pfenninger stayed uncommitted and continued to hope for a recall.=
=20
Personal reasons had a lot to do with it.

He got his first job as a ticket agent at US Airways and his father started=
=20
flying 42 years ago for Allegheny Airlines, one of the predecessor airlines=
=20
of today's US Airways. His father retired from US Airways in 1996.=20
Nationwide, there are now more pilots on furlough than there are available=
=20
jobs =97 7,500 vs. 6,000 expected hires this year, says Kit Darby, whose=
 firm=20
Air Inc. helps pilots find work. "It's not as bad as some people think,"=20
says Darby, "but it's certainly nothing like before 9/11." US Airways is=20
trying to save some jobs, but even that effort is controversial. The=20
airline is forming a regional carrier =97 Pittsburgh-based MidAtlantic=20
Airways =97 to fly small jets the company wants to buy to replace=
 turbo-props=20
and help it compete. The pilot jobs are to go to US Airways' pilots on=20
furlough. But it's still months away from starting operations and pilots at=
=20
some of US Airways' existing regional carriers resent the idea that=20
better-paid, furloughed pilots will be given jobs that they think are=20
rightfully theirs. "All we want to do is continue to do our jobs for US=20
Airways, which is building markets," says Richard O'Leary, spokesman for=20
the pilots union of a US Airways Express carrier. "We want US Airways to=20
recover as soon as possible." A group of US Airways Express pilots on=20
Tuesday picketed the Air Line Pilots Association's headquarters to protest=
=20
what they view as unfair treatment by their union. They say they want ALPA=
=20
to represent regional and big-jet pilots equally. Pfenninger says if he=20
needs to, he'll try to get a job at MidAtlantic or one of the regional US=20
Airways Express carriers. But getting in could take a long time depending=20
on many factors, such as how quickly US Airways can recover and how fast it=
=20
can get small jets. "This company is a little bit more than an employer to=
=20
me," he says. "It really provided my entire family with a great life. My=20
first choice is to stay with US Airways, but I don't think that's going to=
=20
happen."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)
escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(TnT Medical Assn.) http://www.tntmedical.com/
(Trinidad & Tobago Medical Association)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt