Re: more BWEE news

Hi Roger,
only to inform you that a piece of Trinidad & Tobago
still continue to survive here in Italy, I speak about
MD83 EI-CMZ ex 9Y-THN....extimated retirement from the
Eurofly fleet is in late October '02. The only
serviceable MD83 in the fleet.
See yaa and have a nice day there in the Carribbeans.
Marco

Quota Roger James <ejames@escape.ca>:

> Manchester around the corner
> By CURTIS RAMPERSAD
>
> IT TOOK a long time, but national airline BWIA West
Indies Airways has
> finally launched a twice-weekly, non-stop service
from Manchester,
> Eng-land, to Barbados, then on to BWIA's hub in
Trinidad and Tobago.
> Launched officially on July 26, the service offers
eight destinations in
> the Caribbean with the online connections also
available to Tobago, St
> Lucia, St Vincent, Grenada, Geor-getown, Guyana and
Paramaribo, Suriname.
> The route will be served by an L1011-500 aircraft,
offering 21 business
> class and 228 economy class seats. Two additional
services operated into
> Manchester to coincide with the Commonwealth Games in
July, with flights
> arriving and departing Manc-hester on July 14 and
July 21. A team
> comprising some of Trinidad and Tobago's most
prominent business leaders
> joined BWIA's director of Corporate Commu-nications
Clint Williams on a
> mini-trade mission to Manchester as part of its
inaugural service.

> After a long, ten-hour flight from Piarco Airport to
Manchester Airport,
> made not so gruelling by the service and almost
limitless array of food and
> drink in business class, the team met BWIA's
director, Sales and Marketing
> UK/Eu-rope Peter Iland. Included in the group were
Trade Minister Kenneth
> Valley, Trinidad and Tobago Manufacturers'
Association vice president
> Anthony Hosang, the Amer-ican Chamber's David Chaney
and South Chamber
> president Wayne Moze.
> Minutes after the team disembarked from the L1011 on
Friday morning
> Manchester time, it was off to a press conference for
the British media
> launch of the Manchester route. BWIA's Iland
noted "We have been interested
> in the potential of Manchester in particular, and the
North of England for
> quite some time." But BWIA had been unable to file
for a permit to begin
> the operation due to shortage of aircraft, he said.
>
> That problem was solved when BWIA took possession
earlier this year of its
> new A340-300 aircraft which will be used into
Heathrow. The new alliance
> with Liat will also provide additional destinations
throu-ghout the
> Carib-bean and will open up the whole region to the
North of England. The
> Trinidadian trade team was shown some of the city
over its two-day stay.
> Manchester is fast becoming the most dynamic city in
Britain and offers
> visitors a rich combination of shopping, arts and
entertainment, heritage
> and leisure activities. Then there is Trafford
Centre, one of the most
> exciting and innovative shopping malls in Europe. For
art lovers there are
> Manchester City Art Gallery and Salford Art Gallery.
The city's vibrant
> night life is often referred to as the best in the
country and the city is
> also renowned for its rich heritage of sporting
achievements; Manchester
> United FC in particular.
>
>  From Manch-ester it is easy to explore the nearby
Peak District, Lake
> District, Yorkshire Dales, Liverpool and even North
Wales, all of which can
> be easily reached within an hour by car. For the
local delegation,
> potential business opportunities were recognised. At
a dinner hosted by the
> Manch-ester Chamber, Trade Minister Valley noted that
Trinidad and Tobago
> and Manchester shared much in common, including a
well educated workforce.
> Other members spotted possible links in
telecommunications and trade. Less
> than a month before, BWIA also flew its first A340-
300 aircraft into
> Heathrow on its inaugural flight from Port of Spain.
The Airbus is in a
> two-class configuration with 32 seats in business and
252 in economy class.
> Not long after the launch of the Airbus, BWIA chef
executive Conrad Aleong
> said: "The introduction of A340s provides travellers
to the Caribbean with
> a whole new standard of service and reaffirms our
commitment to the London

*