Service workers still at odds with US Airways

NEW YORK, July 9 (Reuters) - Less than a day after pilots for US Airways
Group Inc. (U) said they reached a tentative deal with the airline on wage
cuts, its passenger service workers said on Tuesday that they're frustrated
with "unreasonable demands" for cuts in their wages and benefits.

The Communications Workers of America, which represents about 8,300 active
US Airways passenger service workers, said its most recent offer included
wage and medical cuts of about $17,000 per agent at the top pay rate between
now and 2008.

US Airways, the sixth-largest U.S. air carrier, has dismissed each of four
proposals from the CWA, and is asking for more than $96,000 per agent over
the same time period, the union said on Tuesday.

"CWA members want our airline to survive and we want to play our part in
keeping our airline operating," union representative Cathy Bumgarner said.
"But management has to get serious and work out a fair settlement with us."

Arlington, Virginia-based US Airways has said it needs $950 million in
annual expense reductions from labor.

The airline has tentatively secured $465 million in concessions from its
pilots and $77 million from its flight attendants, for a total of $542
million each year.

It remains in talks with unions representing its machinists and passenger
service workers.

©2002 Reuters Limited.