The Idiots Rule

The idiots rule
by Walter Williams
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/walterwilliams/ww20020
710.shtml#

 We have no less than unadulterated idiots in charge of
airport security.

You say, "What is it this time, Williams?"

Last month, while boarding a Midwest Express flight to
Milwaukee, former Vice President Al Gore was pulled
aside at the boarding gate. He was frisked and his carry-
on luggage searched. The entire flight was boarded
before Reagan National Airport guards concluded that Al
Gore posed no hijacking threat. It was more of the same
on his return flight to Washington.

How might we reconcile these security measures with any
semblance of intelligence? Did the airport security
people think Al Gore harbored lingering anger from his
controversial election defeat at the hands of George
Bush and became an Al Qaeda operative out to destroy the
United States? Could it be that security people think
Americans will put up with anything, no matter how
stupid, as long as there's equality in treatment? If you
think that the answer is no, try some responses from the
nation's leaders.

Human Events (June 24) interviewed several U.S. senators
asking them: "Al Gore was searched twice last week in
U.S. airports. Isn't that a waste of limited resources?"
Sen. Jeff Bingaman, D-N.M., replied: "No, they do that
to anybody. It's a random check." When asked the same
question, Sen. John Breaux, D-La., said, "No, I think
everyone ought to be subjected to the same rules,
whether it's a member of Congress or a member of the
Senate, all public officials." Sen. Jim Bunning, R.-Ky.,
answered: "I've been searched 20 times. ... That's the
way it should be. We shouldn't be exempt from that."

How might we explain these senatorial responses? Is
there the remotest chance that a senator might be a
terrorist hijacker? I'm guessing that the average person
would say no; senators confine their terrorism to our
pocketbooks. What about the chances that a terrorist has
asked a senator to carry on board a weapon that can be
used to hijack an airliner? Again, I'm guessing the
average sane person would answer no. But there's another
possible explanation that should never be ruled out:
When looking for a reason why people do certain things,
never rule out sheer stupidity.

What makes the Al Gore frisk and search even more stupid
is the fact that he was traveling from and to Reagan
National Airport. All flights in and out of metropolitan
Washington's Reagan National airport are accompanied by
armed sky marshals.

Columnist Ann Coulter, writing in the same issue of
Human Events, puts her finger on it: "Searching Al Gore
is a purely religious act. It's purposeless, fetishistic
performance of rituals in accordance with the civic
religion of liberalism."

This religion of liberalism that's a part of the Bush
administration has the potential to produce great death
and destruction in our nation. A few weeks ago, FBI
Director Robert Mueller told the Senate Judiciary
Committee that "immediately after Sept. 11," when the
FBI was trying to stop "a second wave of terrorists out
there," FBI policy was this, according to
Mueller: "We're not looking for individuals of any
particular religion or from any particular country." If
the director is telling the truth, he ought to be fired
for aggravated stupidity and endangering the lives of
Americans.

One of the best immediate things that Bush can do for
the fight against terrorism is to fire both Secretary of
Transportation Norman Mineta and his undersecretary,
John Magaw, both of whom have waged war against a
pilot's right to carry firearms as a last-ditch means to
protect his plane and passengers. If F-16s are ever
scrambled to shoot down a commercial airliner, Mineta
and Magaw have a lot of explaining to do, and so does
President Bush.

--
David Ross
http://home.attbi.com/~damiross