Re: TAN: El Al probing 2nd July 4 attack, in Russia, as also terrorist

At 01:40 AM 7/10/2002 -0400, Bob Taylor wrote:
>David, at risk of turning this into a political discussion, I suppose you
>prefer the Palestinian murderers and prehistoric mentality and civilized
>behavior that they choose to demonstrate, right?

Why does one side have to be right just because one side is partly wrong?

>Perhaps when Westminster Abbey winds up next door in the House of Commons
>thanks to the actions of a civilized, peace-loving Al-Queda warrior, you
>will wake up. I pray that day never happens.

Actually, that democratic, freedom loving country has its own home-grown
terrorist problem. At least the UK has stopped trying to overwhelm northern
Ireland with force and has been working for years now on a political
solution with more determination and consistency than Israel seems to bring
to the Oslo process. (To be fair, Irish Catholics also seem more interested
in a political solution than many of the Palestinians seem.)

Also, the threat of an al Qaeda attack doesn't make Israel look better.
Even the threat of a Hamas attack against the West doesn't make Israel look
better. This weird "My enemy's enemy must be my friend," mentality is what
made the US an ally of Iraq for a while (and even a sponsor of bin Laden),
and look how smart that was! If we choose to befriend Israel, it should be
because of Israel's merits, not its enemies' faults.

Israel is probably fundamentally decent at its core. The USA is probably
fundamentally decent at its core. The UK seems to be fundamentally decent
at its core. But none of these countries should be immune to criticism;
each has very real problems that can be addressed. Shouting, "But they're
worse," and sticking one's head in the sand isn't constructive; it just
encourages the opponents to sound "We're not worse, they are," and stick
their heads in the sand as well.

>Bob Taylor
>Prescott, AZ

Nick Laflamme

PS - I'm going off-line in a few hours for a long weekend. Silence does not
imply agreement, nor acquiescence. :-)