accidently carrying a knife in airport worse than beating a woman

this was e-mailed to Brian Wilson (BrianWilson.net ).  If you don't read
anything else,  scroll down to the last paragraph.

Howdy Brian,
I wanted to tell you about my situation by explaining my background first. I
was born and raised in Montana, joined the military at 17 years of age and
spent 20 years in Law Enforcement before retiring. Two years before retiring
I buried one of my troops that was shot in the face by a drunken driver that
had killed another person in the desert. Part of my time in the military we
were required to conduct random inspections of vehicles entering and
departing the installations as well as eight and a half years I conducted
random inspections as a military customs inspector as part of my duties. Now
I am a private investigator with a large company investigating workers'
compensation claims and conducting surveillance's. I have my own license in
three stated and have been licensed under the company for California and
Nevada.

On April 30, 2002, I arrived at the Sacramento Airport and went through
screening at the X-ray. I was selected and underwent a search of my bags.
During this search they found a leatherman and my keychain pocket knife that
I had forgotten. I took my knife and leatherman back to the car and then
boarded my flight. I went from Sacramento to Seattle and onto Billings, MT.
I worked my case and flew back from Billings, May 2, 2002, to Seattle and on
to Sacramento. Thus far my bags had underwent two screenings and a physical
search at the Sacramento Airport.

When I arrived home, I placed my backpack into the vehicle and carried my
camera each day. With nothing changing, I flew back to Montana again. On May
22, 2002, I departed Sacramento a second time. This time I went through
screening and then was selected in the random process at the gate. My bags
went through a physical search and I flew onto Salt Lake City. There I
watched the random process and asked about it. I was told that I was part of
the random and they requested to search my bags. This time however, they
found a pocket knife in my backpack, and a window tint cutter in my camera
bag. Neither of which I knew was there or even suspected was there as I had
already gone through three screenings and two random searches. I was delayed
and given a citation for Carrying a concealed weapon in an Airport, a
Misdemeanor B offense in the City of Salt Lake City. Punishable by no more
then 180 days in jail, fines, and probation. I was to appear in court on
June 11, 2002, at 8:00 A.M. The FBI was called in and took my information as
well to write there report. The police officer was going to write me a
warning citation, however, she did not have her ticket book and by the time
she had to cite me, her boss had her change it to a hard citation. I later
learned that there was a no tolerance policy adopted a couple of weeks
before my trip. I was released and caught the next flight to Montana to
finish my work and return home to California.

On June 10, 2002, I drove back to Salt Lake City to attend court on June 11,
2002 as directed. I lost two days of work doing this only to find out I was
not even on the docket. I talked to the clerk and they placed me on the
docket so that I could take care of the matter rather then coming back
again. I went into the court and listened to many people before me. They
were there for various offenses, drunk and disorderly conduct, driving while
intoxicated, shoplifting, etc. Most of them plead guilty and received their
sentence. Normally no jail time and I think the largest fine was $300. Some
the judge had them plead not guilty and suggested they contact an attorney.
I had my turn and plead guilty as I had the items on me and believed it was
the right thing to do. The DA or Prosecutor was not ready and did not know
what to suggest for punishment as this was never handled before. Since she
could not make a recommendation, the judge could not make a sentence and
postponed the sentencing for June 21, 2002. I was fortunate, my company sent
me to Montana on another case with a stop in Salt Lake City to take care of
my business on the way home. I attended my court on June 21, 2002. The DA or
Prosecutor stated they were recommending $400 fine, 30 days in jail
suspended, and 12 months good probation. Realizing the judge made his own
sentencing based on the recommendations I again took my chances and plead
guilty as a guy before me had. He received probation, counseling, and they
would hold the offense and it would disappear at the end of a year if he
remained out of trouble. All this for beating his girlfriend (Domestic
Violence). Well, needless to say I received 30 days jail suspended, $400
fine, and 12 months good probation. I asked if I could get the same deal
where it goes away after a year, however, I was reminded of the seriousness
of my offense. I just don't get it. Unknowingly carrying a knife and tint
cutter through an airport in a backpack is more serious the beating a woman,
stealing from retail stores, drunken driving, etc.

I have also had an opportunity to watch this random searches. I have watched
them ask an elderly woman with one leg to stand with her hands out so that
they could wand her. I have asked everyone I could what the random process
how they determine in randomness who to pick and have always learned the
same thing. We just pick them. I watched as the security walked around
picking people, mostly elderly personnel as middle eastern men, with pass
ports, walk on by. There is no random process, i.e., 3rd letter of the last
name is a B, third person walking through, drivers license, social security
number or pass port ending with a 3. They pick who they want to search,
normally elderly or teens, normally Caucasians, because I think they would
give them less problems and they are more then likely less likely to be
carrying anything that would cause them to do more work.

Al G
Retired US Air Force

David Ross
http://home.attbi.com/~damiross/