From: Lanier [mailto:alanie@bellsouth.net]
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2002 7:23 AM
To: Skyone@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Sky-1] Wage Cuts

"United Air flight attendants reject wage cuts"

I don't think the employees or managers in the airline industry have this
figured out yet.

It used to be that America was the "perfect land" where money flowed and all
that was necessary was to demand more of it. I got news for you. That was
yesterday. The rest of the world, while not perfect, has been catching up
with us in technology, production of basic resources, and manufacturing.
While we used to be able to demand, get, and pass on wage and salary
increases, the presence of a world economy has overtaken the United States.
First, the old traditional method of demanding, getting, and passing on wage
increases don't work no more. I spent 16 years in the railroad industry and
I saw it go from 800,000 employees in 1980 to 220,000 employees in 1990. The
reason was that there was a choice for an alternative transportation (called
truck lines) and the industry had to change or die (the railroad industry
still isn't in great shape today) so hundreds of thousands of people
(including me) got new careers. The railroad industry has continued to lose
market share as measured by share of total transportation revenues.

The airline industry is right on the edge. People will not -- and cannot --
afford to keep paying higher and higher airline fares for airline
transportation. The old idea of elasticity of demand has come to the
airlines. People are not going to pay $2000 to fly across the Atlantic
Ocean; some might pay $1000, but most people -- including me -- are going to
pay $500-700 or not travel. We can not afford what the airline industry has
as a product at the price the airlines wish to charge. One of the biggest
factors in airline costs is (1) fuel, and (2) labor costs. I can't tell you
about fuel except it is going to get more expensive as less of it is around
because there are only so many dinosaurs in the ground to be found. But the
unions and airlines better get mart about labor costs. While there are a lot
of pilots making much less that the "magic salary" $200K a year that a lot
of international captains get paid, it is going to come down to the fact
that the vast majority can look at $100K a year incomes and paying out all
that money has pushed the price of air transport to the edge of the level
that the public simply will not buy or cannot afford. What you are seeing is
a massive shift in the customer base the airline has and what they will pay
for the product the industry produces. It is like the retailing industry
before discount stores like K-Mart and Target and Wal-Mart showed up. The
new guys cut costs, sold a heck of a lot of product, and sold the stuff for
much less than the old traditional downtown retailers. Southwest has a
handle on the "new airline industry" although the change is not complete yet
and someone will move into Southwest's spot as No.1 discount service airline
one day much like Wal-Mart pushed K-Mart aside.

It is much better to be making a little less that seeing your company go
teats up (bankrupt) and have to go down the street to be the lowest
seniority pilot at your competitor. I don't hold airline management
blameless either. All of them better get together and get their act together
before you repeat the experience of the railroads. I can tell you - it
wasn't fun.

Alton Lanier
Arlington, Tennessee

Free $5 Love Reading