Re: United Air flight attendants reject wage cuts

Roger and/or Amanda

   Thanks for your candid, albeit emotional, opinion.
   I was hoping, however, for some discourse on whether salaries of
non-governmental employees are etched in stone. Is it more financially
rewarding for employees to negotiate contracts to ensure the health of the
corporation for the employees long term benefit? Are some employees overpaid
for their positions? Let me illustrate... do airline companies have to
heavily advertise for FAs or does a large queue form for very few positions?
In the past there have been literally thousands of applicants for less than
a 100 positions.  Simply stated in the world of supply and demand, or
capitalism, FAs are overpaid. A non-aviation position would be firefighter.
Every time a hiring announcement appears for firefirefighters, at least in
Southern Calif, applicants exceed positions by 100-1. You could lower their
pay as well and you still wouldn't have any shortage of firefighters. We all
know that both jobs do not require any formal training or education.
   I support a strong airline industry as a benefit to the country at large.
IMHO salaries paid to airline employees are excessive as are many executives
of the same companies. A free marketplace would substantially reduce airline
costs, ensure airlines and employees long term health and benefit society as
a whole.
   I am not trying to pick a fight but merely trying to understand why
employees won't support paycuts when their company is under duress.

Greg