Re: Air Canada Launches New Tango Service Today Between Vancouver and Regina, Saskatoon and Winnipeg

Oddly, everyone one of the markets that AC has chosen are fairly good calls=
.

In many markets one flight will suffice. Why? The alternate cities are > 1
day away by road, or if < 1 day, require extensive travel to connect with
the flight.

The Windsor/London flights heading west would normally require a half day
trip into Toronto, so one flight a day will satisfy a lot of people who
don=B9t want to hoof it to YYZ. A lot of their target customer base want to
avoid connections (especially through Toronto/Montreal/Calgary/Vancouver
airports.)=20

Secondly, many of the routings are old AC or CP routes that provided poor
yields. Vancouver-Regina used to have one direct flight a day, and up until
recently a connecting AirBC flight. Up until Tango, they were all
connections through Calgary. One flight can be filled with enough of the
type of customer on that route to justify it, but a full-service AC flight
wouldn=B9t necessarily cut it.

Other routes are pure competitive routes, Abbotsford-Toronto is a good
example. Abbotsford has been a WestJet (and was served by C3) as a key
destination for a long time. AC can offer a direct flight, while WestJet
will remain for a while (until they get some more 737-700s) as several hops
away from Toronto.

Tango also flies with no regard to the connecting banks in the AC hub
cities. (Tango will NOT interline or even check-thru bags, even to another
Tango flight.) This permits effective usage of ground personal and in the
case of Toronto, landing slots.

With C3 gone and no seasonal swings of capacity that SkyService has, and
WestJet without sufficient range on many of their jets, Tango is trying to
(successfully it appears) to carve out and secure market share.

Matthew

Vancouver-Regina =AD This used to be an AirBC route with a connection through
Calgary. Not a strong incrediblybiz route

On 6/17/02 3:58 PM, "damiross@attbi.com" <damiross@attbi.com> wrote:

> I've noticed all of these announcements for Tango's new
> services.  Do they really expect to be able to make
> money with 1 flight per day in the new markets?  Looking
> over their schedule, many, if not most, of their city
> pairs have only 1 flight a day.
>=20
> When deregulation took effect in the USA, the original
> Braniff expanded rapidly (like Tango) with only 1 flight
> a day between city pairs (like Tango) and look what
> happened (possibly going to happen to Tango?).  I
> believe this is one of the major reason that Braniff
> went bankrupt.
>=20
> Granted, the Canadian market is much smaller than the
> USA but it still doesn't make sense to have only 1
> flight a day between their major cities.  I know they
> are not going after the business pax. However, pax would
> probably like to have a choice of more than 1 flight a
> day.
>=20
> BTW: Where did they get a stupid name like Tango? Do the
> flight attendants dance this dance while inflight?
> --
> David Ross
> http://home.attbi.com/~damiross

ght