Airport security technology scrutinized

By Dibya Sarkar, Federal Computer Week

A task force charged with reviewing current and emerging technologies to=20
improve security at the San Jose, Calif., airport has prepared a report=20
that could have national implications. The report, which will be submitted=
=20
to the city council and the federal Transportation Security Administration=
=20
(TSA), focuses on promising technologies that could address passenger=20
convenience, security and cost, said John Thompson, chairman and chief=20
executive officer of Symantec and chairman of the task force, which was=20
convened by San Jose Mayor Ron Gonzales and U.S. Rep. Mike Honda, D-Calif.=
=20
Although the group's first objective was to improve security at Norman Y.=20
Mineta San Jose International Airport, Thompson said local officials want=20
TSA to select the airport as one of 20 pilot sites to receive funding for=20
such security measures. TSA officials have already decided to study=20
security procedures at about 15 airports. He said other airports across the=
=20
country also could adopt the task force's recommendations. "I think what's=
=20
good about this report is that it frames the problem and gives a=20
prescription in application areas as opposed to just running on about=20
technology, retinal scanning, biometrics, and on and on and on and on," he=
=20
said."What we concluded was that technology certainly can be applied to the=
=20
issue of protecting the airports.... But it is as much about process as it=
=20
is technology," Thompson said. "How do you respond when there's an=20
incident? That's not technology. That's as much about having policies and=20
practices that are well articulated, well understood by everyone involved=20
and rigorously adhered to."

The report is divided into three broad areas, with technologies highlighted=
=20
for each. The areas are:
=95 Creating a trusted or validated facility by using technologies to secure=
=20
the perimeter of the airport, its buildings, and access into and out of=20
certain sections.
=95 Creating a trusted employee program using appropriate clearances and=20
authentication. Such a system also could be applied to a "validated=20
passenger" program, Thompson said.
=95 Creating a trusted network. "Airports today operate somewhat in=
 isolation=20
and somewhat on open or unsecured networks," he said. "And so there's a=20
need to create a way to link airports and information about what's going on=
=20
in an airport onto a digitized network."

The group looked at current technologies to help "mitigate or solve the=20
problem today as we know it," he said, "and then we looked at concepts or=20
technologies that are further out that require further exploration for=20
which someone might want to have an ongoing vigilant look." To do this, the=
=20
report recommended a research and development focus within TSA, the U.S.=20
Transportation Department or another appropriate agency "so systems don't=20
become stale," he said. Cost is another critical issue, he added. "Much of=
=20
what happens in an airport is controlled and funded by the local=20
authorities from a security point of view," he said. "And so before we as a=
=20
task force would mandate or suggest [that] these technologies could work,=20
somewhere along the way the process needs to be made clear as to where the=
=20
money's going to come from to ensure that we do in fact improve the=20
security of the airport."

Addressing the cost factor, Honda said, "Certainly the TSA and other=20
agencies involved with security will probably be participating in covering=
=20
the costs. But the government cannot carry all the costs itself, and that's=
=20
why public/private partnerships are going to be critical." Honda cited the=
=20
task force itself as an example of public/private cooperation. "I think=20
that this blue-ribbon task force is a good example of applying=20
entrepreneurial spirit to protect a democracy that depends heavily on=20
public and private partnerships," he said. Task force members included=20
technology and airline executives as well as representatives from higher=20
education, law enforcement and the federal government. The task force held=
=20
a public hearing that drew about 75 participants and received proposals=20
from more than 40 companies.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(RBTT) http://www.rbtt.com/
(RBTT Financial Group)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt