 David Ross<br>(damiross@attbi=2Ecom) as a courtesy of=
 WorldNetDaily=2Ecom (<a=
 href=3D"http://www=2Eworldnetdaily=2Ecom";>http://www=2Eworldnetdaily=2Ecom=
 href=3D"http://www=2Eworldnetdaily=2Ecom/news/article=2Easp?ARTICLE_ID=3D2=
7758">http://www=2Eworldnetdaily=2Ecom/news/article=2Easp?ARTICLE_ID=3D27=
 2002<br>--------------------------------------------------------=
----------<br>Making the air safe for terrorists<br>By Joseph=
 Farah<br>-------------------------------------------------------=
 Sept=2E 11, I actually believed our government might respond to=
 the terrorist attacks with some common-sense, self-defense=
 measures and policies=2E

<P>Boy, was I a dope=2E

<P>Despite the fact that polls of even gun-control advocates show=
 77 percent favor arming airline pilots to avoid hijackings, the=
 Bush administration refuses to heed the call=2E

<P><a=
 href=3D"http://www=2Ewnd=2Ecom/news/article=2Easp?ARTICLE_ID=3D27647";>As=
 WorldNetDaily has reported</a>, the Federal Aviation=
 Administration put the final nail in the coffin of firearms in=
 the cockpit just two months before Sept=2E 11=2E In other words,=
 even while reports were circulating about the imminent threat=
 posed by al-Qaida to the safety of airliners nationwide, the=
 government was doing everything in its power to make the air=
 safe for terrorists=2E

<P>Office of Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge has been=
 unequivocal in his objection to armed pilots ever since=2E=
 Transportation Secretary Norm Mineta has openly opposed the=
 idea=2E And, last week, John "No-Draw" Magaw, the former director=
 of President Clinton's scandal-plagued Bureau of Alcohol,=
 Tobacco and Firearms and now Transportation Security=
 Administration director, told the U=2ES=2E Senate the concept was=
 out of the question=2E

<P>Imagine that=2E These high government officials =96 people who=
 wouldn't think of flying on an airplane themselves that was not=
 protected by armed guards =96 are deciding that airline pilots,=
 most of them military trained, can be trusted to fly a $20=
 million airplane, but not with a loaded gun on board=2E

<P>But I've got good news for you=2E

<P>This is one battle we can win=2E And, if we win this battle with=
 the ruling elite, who knows where it might lead=2E It might result=
 in the biggest outbreak of common sense since 1776=2E

<P>Here's why we can win=2E

<P>The pilots are with us=2E This is our ace in the hole=2E=
 Ultimately, if the government continues to flout the will of the=
 people and the will of the pilots, air travel could be=
 crippled=2E

<P>There are rumblings =96 if ever so slight at this point =96 that=
 some pilots just might decide some day they won't fly without=
 the ability to protect themselves, their crew and their=
 passengers, not to mention innocent civilians on the ground=2E

<P>I'm not advocating a strike=2E But just the hint of such an=
 action might be enough to get Congress off the dime=2E <A=
 HREF=3D"http://www=2Ewnd=2Ecom/news/article=2Easp?ARTICLE_ID=3D27729";>Legi=
slation has been introduced in both houses not only to permit=
 guns in the cockpits of America's airliners, but to mandate=
 them</a>=2E

<P>What will George Bush do if such a bill lands on his desk?

<P>My bet is he will sign it in a heartbeat=2E So far, Bush has=
 listened to his top advisers on the issue=2E But his mother did=
 not raise any stupid politicians=2E Bush knows where the votes=
 are=2E If that bill makes it to the White House, it becomes law=2E

<P>It's too bad we even have to fight over such a basic,=
 fundamental principle=2E It should be a non-issue=2E Ordinary=
 Americans should not be left defenseless while Ridge, Mineta,=
 Magaw and Bush are surrounded by armed guards at all times =96 on=
 land, sea and in the air=2E

<P>But maybe it's better if we view this as an opportunity to=
 slap these arrogant politicians down, hand them a stunning=
 political defeat and let them know we're entering a new age of=
 accountability=2E

<P>Viewed that way, this might not be a waste of time, energy and=
 resources=2E Instead, it could be the next shot heard 'round the=
 world=2E

<P>Maybe once we convince the political class we're not going to=
 be left defenseless in the skies, we let them know we won't be=
 left defenseless on the ground, either=2E Maybe it will be time to=
 roll back all those unconstitutional federal restrictions on=
 possession of firearms that have been passed in recent years=2E

<P>Maybe, after that, we let them know we won't be left=
 defenseless by their open-borders policies=2E

<P>Maybe, after that, we let them know it's time to start=
 rebuilding a civil-defense infrastructure in this country=
 again=2E

<P>And, maybe =96 just maybe =96 after that the political momentum=
 will have shifted toward the common-sense will of the American=
 people that we can take back our country from these fools once=
 and for all=2E

<P><HR NOSHADE SIZE=3D1 WIDTH=3D16%>

<P><B>RELATED OFFER:</B> The June edition of WND's acclaimed=
 monthly
magazine, Whistleblower, focuses entirely on "Shattering the=
 Myths of the Middle East=2E"

<P>For a limited time, new Whistleblower subscribers will receive=
 =96 FREE =96 the celebrated book, "Battleground: Fact and Fantasy in=
 Palestine=2E" This classic primer on the Mideast (which normally=
 sells for $19=2E99 at WorldNetDaily's online store) is considered=
 one of the best-written and most accurate histories of the=
 Arab-Israeli conflict=2E

<P><A
HREF=3D"http://www=2Eshopnetdaily=2Ecom/store/item=2Easp?DEPARTMENT_ID=3D18=
&SUBDEPARTM
ENT_ID=3D86&DROPSHIP_ID=3D0&ITEM_ID=3D108">Subscribe to Whistleblower=
 now and
receive 12 monthly issues, beginning with June's special Mideast=
 issue and
your FREE copy of "Battleground"</A> (while supplies=
 last)=2E<P><P>=A9 2002 &nbsp;</P><br><hr noshade size=3D"1" width=3D"16%=
 "><br><P><i><a href=3D"mailto:jfarah@worldnetdaily=2Ecom";>Joseph=
 Farah</a> is editor and chief executive officer of=
 WorldNetDaily=2Ecom and writes a daily column=2E  Get an=
 autographed, first-edition copy of Joseph Farah's 1996 book,=
 "<a
href=3D"http://www=2Eshopnetdaily=2Ecom/store/item=2Easp?ITEM_ID=3D74";>This=
 Land Is Our Land</A>," published by St=2E Martin's Press=2E