Re: Window shield must be open on take-off?

At 12:43 AM -0700 28/5/02, Michael C. Berch wrote:
>A friend of mine who flies all over the world to do astronomy and
>eclipse research told me about a very strange flight he took, where for
>the last 10 minutes of the flight the window shades were all required to
>be *lowered*, and were not permitted to be raised at all until the
>passengers left the aircraft.   Unfortunately I forget where this was,
>but I'm fairly sure it was in some part of Africa where they are always
>having civil wars and insurgencies, and it was for "security" since the
>airport was shared by the military.

I once flew to Banjul in The Gambia from Brussels with Sabena.  We
flew via Bamako in Mali and all the shades were down from final
approach until we took off again.  I thought this was most odd,
considering it was the middle of the night and lighting is not that
plentiful anyway!
--
Regards,

Simon Craig