Arming pilots

List,

I have read with some degree of interest the discussion about arming
pilots.  I agree that pilots should not be prohibited from defending
the airplane, crew, and passengers.  There are several points that
have not been made that I'd like to make at this point.

1:      The issue of arming pilots v.s. having marshals on board are two
separate and independent issues.  All the discussion to date would
lead a person to believe that you could only have one or the other.
The best solution would be to have both.  While I wholeheartedly
support the armed pilot option, the objection stands that we really
cannot do a fantastic job of defending the aircraft against
terrorists.  Though we could be a last line of defense, I don't think
we should be the only line of defense.

2:      The arguments about going postal/school yard/etc. are actually
arguments in favor of arming pilots.  For some reason, the people
using those arguments neglect to mention that every one of those
places (the post office, schools, etc.) restrict the possession of
firearms.  You don't find too many examples of successful shootings
in known firearm-rich environments.

3:      The discussion has revolved around each of our ideas as to how
best secure an airliner.  Not surprisingly, we have ideas that range
from fly-nekkid to arm the *passengers*.  If the government is in
charge of security, only one of those ideas will be implemented, even
though we each know our idea is best.

The real solution to the problem is to eliminate government
involvement in the aviation industry altogether.  Competition between
the airlines will allow us the freedom to choose the airline that
provides the level and style of safety and security we demand.
Government restricts our freedom to choose, irritates us at
checkpoints, costs us lots of money, and can't be fired because
there's no competition.

Though I enjoy talking about my favorite security scheme (yes, I do
actually have one), I think it would be most productive for each of
us to lobby for the separation of aviation and state.  If successful,
the result would be increased choice, reduced irritation, a better
value and total control over how the job gets done through
competition.  In other words, if you don't like the way Brand X does
it, ride someone else.

Hope y'all are well.

<shameless plug> I *am* still running for congress, so spot me a $20
and I'll send you a t-shirt.  To donate or read my aviation security
article, go to:

http://varrin.com
</shameless plug>

Ta ta...

V-

Varrin Swearingen               ICQ#16241843 varrin@sugargroup.net
Congressional Candidate, CA District 20          http://varrin.com
MD-11 First Officer                                  World Airways
Drums & Percussion                               Audio Engineering