Trip Report : CMH-ORD-SEA (Part II)

Ok this is the return portion of the travel, which happened
to be more eventful than the previous red eye.

 May 12 UA# 1517  CMH --> ORD   4:00 pm 4:15 pm
B737-300 No Reg.Seat 9E Ch. 9 ON all the way.

I got to the check-in counter a bit later than the normal
90 min minimum requirement. There was no line in the check-in
area so that was a breeze.

Got to the security section for the B gates area and went
through the special security section for "qualified" pax.
It was nice until I got to the x-ray machine where I requested
the screener to hand search my camera. He wouldn't bother.
So I asked the same thing to the MP that was standing next to
him. MP said something about the film speed and I refused the
agree on that with him. So he asked the screener who was closer
to me to hand him my camera case. The screener didn't even bother
moving and they started to argue whose job it was to hand
search the camera.

While the MP and the screener were arguing I felt really
"secure" about the post 9-11 procedures. It took them 15 mins
to stop arguing and find someone who would hand search my
camera case..

While I was walking to gate B11 for an on time boarding
I took a look to Southeastern Md-80 pushing back from one
of the gates at the B concourse. It looked sharp, even
better than the pictures at Airways a month ago.

As I was walking to my seat I saw the ID of one of the F/As
on the floor right between row 9 and 8. I took it to her
and she was happy that I returned to her. The F/O was
standing next to her and I asked him if we would have
Ch. 9 on. He said "affirmative" and I was a happy camper
walking back to my seat.

We pushed back on time but the captain announced on the
P/A system that we had a 55 min ground hold for the flow
control in ORD. That was longer than the scheduled flight time.

We waited at the penalty box behind the AA gates and when
it was about 30 minutes into the waiting period we transitioned
to the penalty box right by the approach end of 28L.

After the 55 min past the hour we ended up taking off on that
runway. Initially cleared to 5000 feet, Columbus Approach
handed us over to Indy Center which told us to climb to
only 17,000 feet. Due to some light turbulence the pilot
requested higher and FL220 was the highest we could get.

As soon as we were about to switch frequencies for another
controller at Indy Center, we were told we were cleared
direct FWA, direct Kokomo and had to hold over Kokomo VOR
with 5 DME legs as published. This clearance was given to
us at 2133 Zulu time, and the "expect further clearance time"
(ATC way of saying 'hold until this hour') was 2200 Z.

That meant about 30 mins of hold and we ended up holding
17 mins. Once we ended up talking to Chicago Center ATC
told us to expect O'Hare One arrival and expect Runway
27L.

It was a pretty crappy day in O'Hare with ceilings at 500
feet and visibility down to 4 miles. Chicago Approach
and Center frequencies were so busy and a USAirways
flight constantly missing the ATC calls didn't help
either.

Landed much later than the expected arrival time and taxied
off to gate C2.

 May 12 UA # 949  ORD --> SEA   4:50 pm 7:02 pm
B767-300ER

This was the original flight that was going to get me to
SEA but due to late arrival of the incoming flight I ended
up taking the following flight.

UA 449 ORD --> SEA 7:25pm  B757-200 N513UA Seat 31A
I guess United doesn't do ant automatic booking for the  missed
connection. So I had to wait in line for 30 mins to change
my reservation. After 30 mins and seeing that the huge line
wasn't going anywhere I called the airline on their 800 number
and I asked them to rebook me for the 7:25 pm flight.

When I went to the gate B7 and told the agent that I was
on the previous flight and called the 800 line I was told
that he didn't have any records on flight 449. I was put
on the standby list..

After some waiting period I was left with two choices :
1. Accept the seat 31A and be exposed to low seat pitch
or
2. Take the 9:15 pm flight and wait in ORD another 2 hrs.

I decided to take the earlier flight and be done with it.

This flight used to be a full meal flight in 2001 but
not it is reduced to a "snack" flight. Turkey and cheese
sandwich, a bag of M&Ms and Doritos chips and a choice
of drink was the gourmet meal.

Put my headsets on and went to sleep with Ch. 9 playing
music of ATC to my ear.

After almost 4 hrs it was time to descend to SEA area
and we landed on runway 34R with a slight tailwind of
180/5 KTS.

OVERALL :
1. United's service in some areas improved in the last
year or so.
2. No matter how much they try to be on time ORD is a
zoo when it has low ceilings or some TS activity in
the vicinity.
3. If it's not going to guarantee me an economy plus seating
which is a great idea why should I pay $100 more per
roundtrip in my upcoming SEA-BDL-SEA trips.
4. I looooveee Ch. 9
5. ANR headsets rock in noise canceling.
6. Am I trip reports too long ? :) :)