UAL's ETOPS certified 757s

As far as I know CO is the only airline that runs 757s across
the Atlantic. I am not sure if TWA does still have those 757s
services to European destinations out of JFK.

I was really surprised to see that UAL had some , not all, 757s
in ETOPS format. Now, the only destination that I can think of
is Hawaii. However, there were more than just few at ORD this
past weekend.

Also, if I am not mistaken all UAL 757s are direct orders from
Boeing. I don't recall UAL acquiring any 757s from mergers or so.

What's the story on these ETOPS certified birds? Did UAL plan
more than Hawaii service and ended up ordering them and then
canceling the plans to run them over the oceans?

BAHA
Fan of Ch. 9

ORD : Chicago O'Hare
ETOPS : Engines Turn or Passangers Swim