From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of
Nick Laflamme
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 11:13 AM
To: AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: If I ran United...

At 07:37 PM 5/3/2002 -0700, Mark Greenwood  wrote:
>How would doing away with FC adversely affect yield?  Right now you
>have someone who has paid the lowest fare possible occupying a high
>yield seat.

You're kidding, right? They people who fly the most often fly on
unrestricted tickets or on very short notice. They may have a 5%
corporate discount worked out by their employer (I did when I was with
Nortel), but that's 5% off a very high fare, not 5% off what the
cheapest fare on the plane is!

United got my business last year on four IAD-MSP round trips (through
ORD, no less!) instead of NW because they treat me well, because I did
lots of Star Alliance miles in 2000. (UA and LH were by far the easiest
way to Hamburg when I was doing lots of IAD/HAM trips.) When I say
"treat me well," I mean extra leg room in Economy Plus and a less busy
check-in counter at most UA airports. If United decides the only perk I
get for my consistent patronage of them is the occasional free flights,
I'll spend down my current Mileage Plus balance on free tickets and then
and Southwest depending on when I'm in economy mode or more-room-please
mode. And instead of counting on my patronage to fill seats on twenty or
fifty flights a year, UA will have to win over someone else to be their
customer.

Was I part of a niche worth being catered to when I worked for Nortel
and travelled a lot as a consultant? United thought so. That's the whole
basis of the FF programs: it's easier to retain (and milk) an
established FF than it is to compete for other airlines' frequent
fliers.

Tell me, Mark (and you other travel agents), is it more profitable to
take care of your established customers or to try to make a profit on a
stream of random customers walking through your doors?

Sigh,
Nick