Re: First vs Coach: was Re: If I ran United...

Flattening out the fare structure sounds democratic, but if anything it's
the key that dragged the airline industry out of the sixties to today.

Before any says that JetBlue, WestJet and LUV do 'flat' pricing, I'd suggest
they check their numbers. They ALL do yield based pricing, albeit with fewer
tiers (3 instead of maybe 20.)

Yield Management works. Competition has also worked.

The airlines biggest problem is labor. Those that have their labor costs in
check (LUV, JetBlue, WestJet and even Delta) are doing better. 40% of
United/AA/US/CO's costs are labor.

For grins, divide the total # of employees of an airline by the size of
their fleet. I think United is up around a 100 staff per craft. Then
calculate what they are paid. Ouch! No wonder United is cash-flow negative.

My conclusion is that until (the majors) Airlines can get morale up,
efficiency up, and labor rates down, they are all in big trouble.

(Labor costs are up something like 30% at the majors, yet fares have barely
budged in years.)

Scary.

Matthew

[snip]