    From: "W Wilson" <wlw-jr@att.net>
    Sent: 05/01/2002 08:12:48 PM
    To: "AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU" <AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>
    Subject: ANALYSIS-United Air search for CEO seen as long voyage
   =20
    By Kathy Fieweger
   =20
    CHICAGO, May 1 (Reuters) - The search for yet another chief =
executive at
    United Airlines, rarely an easy task for any large company, is =
particularly
    difficult at the No. 2 U.S. carrier, where labor unions hold =
substantial
    sway, industry observers said on Wednesday.
   =20
    Jack Creighton, the chief executive of United's parent, UAL Corp. =
(UAL), on
    Tuesday said he would step down after the "weeks and months" of a =
nationwide
    replacement search. The announcement's timing caught some analysts =
by
    surprise, and comes as the airline is trying to bail out from an =
industry
    record $2.1 billion loss in 2001 and $510 million net loss in the =
2002 first
    quarter.
   =20
   =20
    Shares of Elk Grove Village, Illinois-based UAL were down 35 cents, =
or about
    2.5 percent, at $13.74 in afternoon trade on the New York Stock =
Exchange.
    Most other shares in the airline sector were higher.
   =20
    Creighton, a board member at UAL and former timber executive, took =
over as
    CEO in October. His predecessor, James Goodwin, was ousted by angry =
unions
    following a public relations disaster that swirled for weeks.
   =20
    The airline's board of directors has retained Russell Reynolds =
Associates to
    help find a new CEO.
   =20
    Aviation industry experts said the search could take at least six =
months,
    especially given the de facto veto power held by the pilots and =
machinists.
    Both unions have seats on the 12-member UAL board due to a 1994 =
employee
    stock ownership plan that gave workers 55 percent ownership.
   =20
    "When Creighton took the interim CEO position six months ago, our
    expectation was that his tenure at the top would be a relatively =
short one,"
    said Merrill Lynch analyst Michael Linenberg. "However, we were =
surprised by
    last night's news, given that there is much work to be done on the =
labor
    front."
   =20
    United is starting to go full throttle on a plan to seek wage =
concessions
    from all labor groups. The request for "shared sacrifices" comes =
after
    industry-leading contracts were granted to various workers =
represented by
    the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, =
UAL's
    biggest union.
   =20
    The airline says its labor costs are too high, especially given =
shrinking
    revenues. It might apply for federally backed loan guarantees as =
part of an
    as yet undefined financial recovery plan.
   =20
    "The next CEO at United would do well to follow in Jack Creighton's
    footsteps," said Tom Buffenbarger, president of the machinists' =
union. A
    pilots' representative also called Creighton "a breath of fresh =
air."
   =20
    RESTORING THE BALLAST
   =20
    Analysts also saw Creighton's resignation as a signal to labor that =
it must
    cooperate on concessions. The airline's message is: "We need to get
    something done so we can get a new captain on board this ship," =
according to
    Linenberg.
   =20
    United, buffeted even before the Sept. 11 attacks on New York and =
Washington
    slashed travel demand, is listing financially but the ship is not =
yet sunk,
    analysts said.
   =20
    Analysts noted the airline has plenty of cash and unencumbered =
assets, too.
    Its cash balance grew in the first quarter to nearly $3 billion -- =
an
    increase of $300 million -- and its daily cash burn was halved to $5 =
million
    from $10 million in the fourth quarter.
   =20
    Speculation on possible CEOs centered around Greg Brenneman, a =
former
    executive at Continental Airlines Inc. (CAL) who heads his own =
Texas-based
    turnaround and equity investment firm, TurnWorks Inc. TurnWorks this =
year
    tried but failed to bring off a merger between Hawaiian Airlines =
Inc. (HA)
    and Aloha Airgroup Inc.
   =20
    "He's at the top of my list," said one UAL bondholder who asked not =
to be
    identified.
   =20
    In a 1998 edition of the Harvard Business Review, Brenneman wrote an =
article
    entitled "Right Away and All at Once: How We Saved Continental." He =
could
    not immediately be reached for comment.
   =20
    THE MURKY DEEP
   =20
    Labor strife and its potential to whip into typhoon-like fury is no =
stranger
    at United. After handpicking Creighton's predecessor, Goodwin, =
unions became
    irate last fall when Goodwin sent a letter to employees warning of =
United's
    potential demise.
   =20
    Goodwin himself was chosen as CEO in 1999, after unions refused to =
back the
    expected promotion of John Edwardson. Edwardson was the =
heir-apparent to
    Gerald Greenwald, a former Chrysler executive brought on as part of =
the 1994
    ESOP.
   =20
    Another former chief at United, Stephen Wolf, was widely castigated =
by
    unions during his tenure. Wolf later left to run US Airways Group =
Inc.
    (U) -- which also has been losing huge amounts of money -- with =
Rakesh
    Gangwal. Both Gangwal and Wolf have also left US Airways.
   =20
    Richard Aboulafia, senior analyst at Teal Group, said US Airways -- =
hiring
    David Siegel as chief executive in March -- appears to be heading =
toward a
    bit of badly needed calm on the labor front, which United could also =
use.
   =20
    Old airline tactics like threatening to downsize, merge or fold =
aren't
    working, he said.
   =20
    "I would think (UAL) would perhaps want to emulate US Airways and =
find
    someone who is conciliatory, to lessen the alienation and make =
everyone
    realize it is a team effort," Aboulafia said. "Obviously they need =
someone
    who is willing to make it about team work, who can speak to the =
workers and
    makes clear that it is in everyone's interest to have a business =
model that
    works."
   =20
    Shares of United remain 50 percent below Sept. 11 levels. Shortly =
after an
    American Airlines plane bound for Dominican Republic crashed in =
November,
    the shares hit a low of $9.40.
   =20
    (--Additional reporting by David Bailey in Chicago)
   =20
   =20
    =A92002 Reuters Limited.