  From: David Mueller=20
  To: AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU=20
  Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002 6:26 AM
  Subject: Re: If I ran United...

  On Thursday, May 2, 2002, at 04:41  PM, Dennis W Zeuch wrote:

  > Would this be allowed? Aren't airlines like a public utility in many
  > ways?
  > They have to provice a reasonable service to all of  America?
  > Have to offer some service , even with those RJ's to everyone

  No they don't.  There are a handful of markets covered by the federal
  Essential Air Services Act, and thus subsidized by the federal
  government.  However this program has been shrinking in recent years.

  Airlines are like any other private business in the US, they can =
choose
  to serve or not serve any market they wish.  If a particular market
  can't support profitably even a J31 flight to the closest mega-hub, =
then
  the airline just won't get served, unless an EAS subsidy can be =
obtained.

  --
  David Mueller / HNL
  kawika42@mac.com