United pilots to discuss recovery plan

"for the money-losing carrier"...

Walter
DCA

CHICAGO, April 26 (Reuters) - Pilots at UAL Corp.'s (UAL) United Airlines
said on Friday they have agreed to discuss participating in a financial
recovery plan for the money-losing carrier, but will only discuss labor cost
relief as part of a bigger plan that includes sacrifices from all employee
groups.

The pilots' willingness to talk represented the first such statement from
any employee group at the No. 2 U.S. airline, which is struggling with huge
financial losses in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks. Pilots own 25 percent
of UAL through a 1994 Employee Stock Ownership plan.

"We are confident that a properly structured financial program will position
United to solidify and grow its network as the industry recovers," said
Captain Paul Whiteford, chairman of the Master Executive Council of United's
Air Line Pilots Association branch. ALPA represents about 10,000 pilots at
United.

Earlier on Friday, representatives for some 26,000 flight attendants said
they were not willing to take part in any discussions about concessions.

In a statement, United Airlines Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Jack
Creighton described a meeting Thursday between unions and management as
"useful and productive overall." The International Association of Machinists
and Aerospace Workers, which was separately negotiating a now-tentative
contract settlement for ramp and reservation workers, did not attend.

Representatives of four unions and United's senior management met for two
hours at the company's headquarters in Elk Grove Village, Ill.

PROCESS UNDER WAY

"We are encouraged that this essential process is under way," Creighton
said. "While we regret that the International Association of Machinists
chose not to attend yesterday, we were encouraged that most union leaders
not only participated but offered sound and constructive comments."

No specific plans were set forth, Creighton said.

"All we asked of any union was that they sit down and talk to us. We are
disappointed in today's statement from the flight attendants union, which we
believe was premature."

Creighton emphasized that United prefers talks be inclusive and involve all
stakeholders. "We must all recognize that the future of every United
employee is tied to the future of United Airlines and vice versa. That's why
we continue to seek the benefit of input from representatives of all
U.S.-based employees as this vital process moves forward."

Creighton took over as CEO in October after his predecessor, James Goodwin,
resigned following a public-relations disaster involving a letter sent to
employees predicting the airline's demise unless losses stopped.

United posted a first-quarter net loss of $510 million, just under the $575
million net loss posted by rival AMR Corp.(AMR), parent of American Airlines
and the biggest U.S. carrier.

United cut back more than 20 percent of its available seat miles after the
attacks on New York and Washington but this spring has been adding back
flights.

©2002 Reuters Limited.