Are airline ads too glossy?

It concerns me everytime I see a TV ad for an airline that were are placing
impossible expectations in the minds of our customers.

Even one of those glossy print ads in Time and Newsweek are a problem. You
know the ones, with the ivory-coloured light streaming through the window
like the glow of heaven and Miss Universe in a cabin-crew outfit offering
some jaded businessman a meal that looks like something from a gourmet
restaurant.

We're transporting people in a metal tube at 33 000 feet with severe
limitations on what we can do the kitchen. Yet it's made to look like a day
in paradise.

The ads are beautiful, but do they mean that virtually every flight ends up
being a disappointment?

Your thoughts.

Geoff in Harare