Re: Close down SJU? -no

<P><BR>I read the same article. It's a load of BS. The PR media is so sensationalist its ridiculous. Close down the airport because a small plane went down in an urban area while on approach? Like that's never happened before. And how many airports have planes fly over populated areas on&nbsp;either arrival or departure? More than we can count. You want to talk about an airport that has homes and buildings in very close proximity, I'll tell you about MDW. There are literally homes across the street from that facility. SJU doesn't even come close to that. And forget moving the airport to Aguadilla/Ramey (BQN). That facility is an hour and a half to two hours away from the San Juan metro area. No one from the most populated district on the island is going to want to make that drive just to fly out. And there really is no room anywhere else in the metro area to build a major airport. They're stuck with SJU as it is right now. </P>
<P>Gabe<BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV><BR><BR><BR>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; i spent several days working in sju last winter and they are investing major FAA funds to update the taxiways to ICAO standards (like taxiways that read C14, C15, C16 etc etc)- any talk of them closing the place down are unfounded and rediculous- though i will admit they have some issues with iguanas roaming the rwys in the morning- a major issue down there which does cause delays.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; DENNMASS@aol.com wrote: In the latest of airport thrashings, a major newspaper in PR brought up the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;issue of closing down SJU after a small plane crashed on the 15th in a San
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Juan suburb. The article from El Nuevo Dia mentioned the possibility of
<DIV></DIV>&gt;establishing the international airport at the old SAC base at Borinquen (BQN)
<DIV></DIV>&gt;(fmr Ramey AFB). I personally think nothing will come from this, but it just
<DIV></DIV>&gt;kills me that people develop and move close to airports only to bitch and
<DIV></DIV>&gt;whine about the airport's proximity, specially when an inevitable expansion
<DIV></DIV>&gt;is needed. (FLL is going through that now, MIA for years, even a gen av field
<DIV></DIV>&gt;in Broward Cnty after a light plane went down in a nearby neighborhood).
<DIV></DIV>&gt;DM
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Joe Pries Commercial Aviation Photography
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Serving the airline industry with quality photography
<DIV></DIV>&gt;AOL IM AIRLINE72
<DIV></DIV>&gt;http://www.joepries.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Do You Yahoo!?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Yahoo! Games - play chess, backgammon, pool and more