Re: [Sky-1] Continental CEO sees dim prospects for JetBlue

If I were Neelman my next destination would be Houston.

-----Original Message-----
From: www.joepries.com [mailto:airlinephoto@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 4:44 PM
To: Skyone@yahoogroups.com; AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [Sky-1] Continental CEO sees dim prospects for JetBlue

wow! thats huge! -i bet that now Neeleman is gonna make darn sure that
he succeeds- im not sure just how they are gonna fail though according
to Bethune- it seems like every darn flight coming to jfk is jetblue
jetblue jetblue- in and out in and out all day every day- they are doing
crazy business

  lafrance@verizon.net wrote:

Continental CEO sees dim prospects for JetBlue

Wednesday April 17, 4:05 PM EDT

HOUSTON, April 17 (Reuters) - Continental Airlines (CAL) Chief Executive
Gordon Bethune said on Wednesday he was skeptical that upstart rival
JetBlue Airways (JBLU) would succeed and said its soaring stock price
was proving P.T. Barnum correct.

Barnum, who founded the Barnum & Bailey Circus, was famous for
supposedly saying "There's a sucker born every minute."

Bethune made his comments at Continental's annual shareholder meeting in
response to a question about his thoughts on JetBlue's stock price
rising 70 percent since an initial public offering on Friday. It opened
at $27, soared to $45 the same day and has stayed at that level.

"It just says that P.T. Barnum was right," the outspoken Bethune said,
drawing laughter from the audience.

"Since 197! 8 the record pretty well shows that no start-up
airline...has really been successful, so the odds of JetBlue having
long-term success are remote," he said.

"I'm not going to say it can't happen because stranger things have
happened, but I personally believe P.T. Barnum was, in that respect,
correct."

Officials at two-year-old JetBlue, a discount airline based in New York,
were not immediately available for comment.

Continental would love to see similar success in an IPO for its regional
airline unit, ExpressJet Holdings Inc. (XJT), which was in the process
of being completed on Wednesday. It was expected to be priced between
$14 and $16 per share when it hits the market on Thursday.

"We've had a lot of very, very favorable responses from institutions and
retail sales and we expect them to go complete that transaction sometime
today," Bethune said.

Bethune also said that Continental, still recovering from the effects of
the Sept. 11 attacks, h! oped to boost its cash reserves from the
current level of about $1.1 billion to $1.5 billion by year's end as a
cushion against future shocks.

He said the airline, which is the nation's fifth largest, had 55,000
employees when the attacks occurred, but laid off 8,000 afterwards in
cost-cutting measures. The lost work force is slowly being brought back,
he said.

"Today I'm pleased to report we are back above 48,000 and we continue to
rehire our colleagues as demand returns," Bethune said.

Roger La France
EWR
CO767 or ewrgateman on IAM

SkyOne--The Airline News Channel
  To Post message: Skyone@yahoogroups.com
Skyone URL:
  http://www.yahoogroups.com/g!
<http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/Skyone> roup/Skyone

Joe Pries Commercial Aviation Photography
Serving the airline industry with quality photography
AOL IM AIRLINE72
http://www.joepries.com

  _____

Do You Yahoo!?

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.1994012.3473453.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
073027:HM/A=1036972/R=0/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=3466>
Click Here!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=194081.1994012.3473453.1261774/D=egrou
pmail/S=1705073027:HM/A=1036972/rand=998313494>