Amtran pilots union authorizes strike

INDIANAPOLIS, April 5 (Reuters) - A union representing 970 pilots at
low-cost carrier American Trans Air (AMTR) said on Friday that members had
voted overwhelmingly to sanction a strike if contract talks with management
fail to produce a new deal.
Air Line Pilots Association representatives have been negotiating with the
No. 10 U.S. carrier, an Indianapolis-based unit of Amtran Inc., since May
2000.

Federal mediators from the National Mediation Board have intervened to try
to help negotiate a contract. If the board declares an impasse, the two
sides would begin a 30-day "cooling off" period, after which the union could
call a strike.

"A strike is not our route of choice, but it may be the road our management
forces us to take," ALPA unit chairman Kevin Friel said in a prepared
statement, noting 98 percent of voting members approved the strike option.

©2002 Reuters Limited.