Trip Report: CO YUL->EWR

Finally fed up with Air Canada and their tendency to underserve
customers at every step of the journey, including telling outright lies,
and stranding passengers in the wrong state, I felt it was time to make
a change.  AC's unwillingness to give my sister a $20 voucher to cover
transportation from LaGuardia to Midtown Manhattan (not even to Newark,
where her ticket was for) cost them $200 in revenue from me this past
weekend.  This is why Air Canada is hemmoraging money.  Anyway...  Up at
6:00 for a 9:20 departure; metro, bus, bus, and at the airport at 7:15.
Check in with Continental (handled by Northwest's ground staff at
Dorval), request something closer to the front than 17A, but it falls on
deaf ears.  Eeh.  Head on up to the public lounge; I can see an AC Spazz
146 (yellow), and what must be close to the entire fleets of Air Inuit
and Air Creebec going out on their 7:30 bank :>  (It was 2 Inuit Dash
8s; Creebac had a DH8 and a 1900D).  There was also the TACA A320 going
out, as was the Nolinor Convair, which now only says "Cargo" in big
green letters.  Did a little reading for a paper on Crown Heights that
I've got to do this week, and headed off to do formalities around 8:20.
Bought the AIF ticket, cleared Customs in 3 minutes, and went through
security.  As usual, I put everything from my pockets in my coat pocket,
and sent it through along with my backpack.  I'm met at the end of the
conveyor belt.  "<something in French>." "Desole, je ne parle..."
"You've got someting h'electronic in your bag."  "It's in my coat."
"No, no, it's small, square, h'electronic, in your bag."  "I know, but
it's in my coat."  She goes back and has a hurried conversation with the
machine operator.  "Ah, yes, it's in your coat."  And I show it to her,
flip the power switch, and continue.  I don't get tabbed for the checked
luggage search, probably since I don't have any checked luggage.  Head
down towards transborder, and get pointed towards the tunnel that leads
to the Aeroquay, since CO's normal gates are blocked by construction
equipment for the new transborder finger.  I take a rest on the moving
walkway, soothed by the bird sounds that Aeroports de Montreal pipes
in.  I arrive at the gate just as the inbound is unloading.  I wait a
few minutes, and ask the gate agent if I can change my seat.  He replies
that he hasn't set up the gate yet, and to come back in 20 minutes.  I
oblige, return at the appointed hour, and get 3A, although he writes my
new seat and last name on the Customs declaration form (which,
interestingly enough, has the names and birthdates of our crew - Captain
Bart is 34, the FO is 28, and Mary, our FA is 48.  Boarding is called
right on time for...

Friday, March 29
Continental Express 4165  YUL-EWR  ERJ-145  N15912 (delivered May, 2001)

Sched: 920-1055  Actual: 920-1034  Gate:29 Seat:3A
Class: Q  Fare: 141USD (one-way)  Advance purchase: 7 days  Load: 29/50
I board in the last group, and am not singled out for searching, which
is a minor miracle, considering I'm an 18-30 male flying alone, on a
one-way ticket, with no checked luggage.  I settle into 3A, squeeze my
coat into the overhead over the two-seat side (gosh, those things are
small), and deftly slide my backpack under the seat.  The other pax are
mostly on, save for a guy who somehow lost his BP somewhere between the
terminal and the airport, and a woman who can barely walk (and speaks
only Spanish) who is assisted on the plane, placed in the 3BC side, and
promptly whacks her head on the overhead bin.  The door is closed at
920, and we push at 923 (as a Hydro-Quebec Convair is departing).  Mary
interrupts her announcements to buckle the Spanish lady's seat belt.  I
apologized to the FA later on for forgetting all of my Spanish, and not
being able to be of any help, but fortunately, all of row 4 speaks
Spanish.  She puts in a CD that contains the safety audio, and does the
demo.  There's no French anywhere on this flight, the demo is
English-only, announcements are English-only, and the markings in the
place are English and Spanish.  Off 24R at 93, and we fly almost
parallel down the St. Lawrence for a few minutes before turning south.
It's a clear day with a few scattered clouds, and we're pretty low
(there was no announcement, but we were closer to 16,000 than FL290, my
2 previous reference points).  I pick up our course on the sectional
over the Lake George area, and follow it down the Hudson for nearly the
entire flight (pausing to fly over some little clouds, and to admire 4
perfect echelons of northbound migrating birds that we pass near
Newburgh).  Entered Newark's airspace as usual around the Sparta
VOR/Greenwood Lake area, flew over Fair Lawn (read the water tower), and
to the 24 threshold at Teterboro.  Instead of turning to intercept the
final approach course for 22 as is customary there, we remained
straight, and turned much later, almost over Secaucus.  Continued
descending over some port facilites, and by this time I'm totally
disoriented.  Lower the gear right before the Pulaski Skyway, and then
it all makes sense.  A couple of seconds after the bridge, Captain Bart
makes a wide, sweeping right turn, and sets us up on short final for
runway 29, where we're on at 1028, for a kick-ass in-air time of 57
minutes.  Long rollout to where Terminal C is, and we pull into gate 123
at 1034, blocking in a good 21 minutes early.  I'm due to take the 11:27
train back to my hometown (even though I could have made the 10:58
easily), so I dawdle leaving Terminal C, a place where I hadn't been
since December 1997.  The terminal was fixed up very impressively, I
helped myself to a copy of the Economist from CO's free magazine rack
(an exemplary customer-service touch - also made up the extra that I
paid by taking CO instead of AC), and hopped the monorail over to A just
to see what I could see (an ATA753 using Spirit's old gate 20).  Got a
cup of coffee from the Green Mermaid o'Death (I had $22US, the other
coffee place was 1.89 + tax, Jojo's place was 1.75+tax, and I didn't
want to break the 20), and then started the 7-minute monorail over to
the train station.  Chatted with a Canadian guy on the way over about
McGill, Montreal, etc, and I helped him onto an NYC-bound train, as I
took a southbound one.  All in all, I was very impressed by Continental,
I was met with professionalism every step of the way, and I truly got
the feeling that CO was a company who realized that without their
customers, they're nothing.  When my only complaint was that the ERJ is
a little loud, I think I can safely say that I've found a company that
deserves my business in the future.
Matthew :)