Airports See $2B Bomb Detection Costs

By JONATHAN D. SALANT

WASHINGTON (AP) - The nation's airports face at least $2 billion in
construction costs to make room for machines to detect explosives. Officials
say they don't know how many machines they need, where they should be
installed or who will pick up the cost.

Renovations for the most part have yet to begin and it's unlikely airports
will meet an end-of-year deadline for having all the equipment in place.

"As we sit here, we don't know what to build or where to build it," said Jim
Wilding, president of the Washington Metropolitan Airports Authority, which
runs Washington Dulles and Reagan National airports and handles 35 million
passengers annually.

"There's just a whole host of very complicated, very expensive decisions
that need to be made," he said. "You wish they could have been made last
week or last month, but they just haven't been."

The new aviation security law requires explosive detection systems at all
429 commercial airports by Dec. 31 to inspect checked baggage. But the
airports have to make room for the machines.

Transportation Department Inspector General Kenneth Mead estimated the cost
of renovating the airports at more than $2 billion, to accommodate more than
2,000 machines.

The government will pay installment costs of $175,000 per machine, said
Transportation Security Administration spokesman Jonathan Thompson. The $4.7
billion is part of President Bush's supplemental budget proposal.

Because airport executives said there isn't enough time to complete the
renovations by year's end, they will need to use other technologies as well,
such as handheld equipment to detect traces of explosives, in addition to
the explosive detection machines.

"We tend to think in terms of a couple of years to build things rather than
a couple of months,' Wilding said. "It's increasingly likely that a
combination of technologies is going to be necessary rather than going
directly to a permanent solution."

At Salt Lake City Airport, which handles 19 million passengers a year,
checked bags are first inspected with the handheld equipment, for instance.
They are sent through explosive detection machines only if there is
something suspicious.

"A system such as ours is the only way that all airports can comply with the
law," said Tim Campbell, the airport's executive director. "There's no way
the manufacturers can even manufacture enough machines, let alone have the
airports in a position to install and retrofit their terminals."

Others in the airport management field want to be able to use alternatives
to explosive detection machines.

George Doughty, executive director of the Lehigh-Northampton Airport
Authority, said smaller airports should be allowed to search bags by hand.
The authority runs Lehigh Valley International Airport in Allentown, Pa.,
which handles 1 million passengers a year.

"The law specifically states EDS machines," Doughty said. "If you can
accomplish the same mission with another technique, I'm sure Congress would
be happy with that."

Sen. Richard Durbin, a member of the Senate Appropriations transportation
subcommittee, acknowledged there may not be enough machines in place by Dec.
31. "As long as we're making a good-faith effort - and I think we are - I'm
not going to be critical," said Durbin, D-Ill.

Also to be decided is where the explosive detection machines should go.
Transportation Secretary Norman Y. Mineta and many airport executives say
they want them in baggage handling areas rather than in airport lobbies.

"It's going to be difficult to meet any kind of customer service
requirements if these machines are in front of the ticket counters," said
Gina Marie Lindsay, managing director of Seattle-Tacoma International
Airport, which handles 27 million passengers a year.

Failure to install machines currently available before the deadline might
have a positive effect, some officials said, insofar as the government might
over the next year be able to help them find more modern equipment.

"I don't want them to spend billions of dollars on equipment that may be
outdated in a year or two," said House aviation subcommittee chairman John
Mica, R-Fla. "They're making progress to acquire equipment and meet the
requirements Congress has set up but we've got to do a much better job of
moving forward for next generation technologies."

---

On the Net:

Transportation Security Administration: http://www.tsa.dot.gov

Airport trade group: http://airportnet.org