Caribbean Star news

New kid in sky soars through Caribbean
By Linda Hutchinson-Jafar (Trinidad Guardian)

Caribbean Star, the newest airline in the Caribbean seems determined to
have its way in capturing a sizeable chunk of the market from regional
competitors. Just 18 months old, the airline boasts about the growth in
business, for instance, recording a 200 per cent increase for both January
and February over the same period last year.  By July, it hopes to be in a
comfortable cash-flow position. Caribbean Star began operations in October
2000, servicing Antigua, St Kitts and Grenada. By the end of April, it will
be doing business in 14 Caribbean islands.

The airline is owned by American business magnate and neutralised Antiguan
citizen, R Allen Stanford. After more than a decade of being actively
involved in developing successful businesses throughout the Caribbean and
around the world, Stanford saw a great opportunity and need for greater
competition and a higher level of service in the region, thus giving rise
to Caribbean Star Airlines Ltd. President and Chief Executive Officer of
Caribbean Star, Paul Moreira said the airline was able to expand rapidly
because of its business plan. He said with the exception of LIAT and BWIA
and Air Jamaica, the average Caribbean airline usually exist for eight
months. "We're continuing to grow because our business model is very, very
different from the others before," said Moreira. He also credits Stanford
for his commitment and his love for the Caribbean.

"For too many years, the Caribbean people and the tourism product has been
held hostage by certain operators who are either providing poor service or
extremely expensive fares and they didn't allow for a stimulation of
business or tourism, the engine of our economy," said the Portugese
national. "Our business model is to give the consumer and tourism product
an option and a choice which unfortunately we didn't have in the past." He
said it was unfortunate that the regional carriers end up merging together
and creating alliances and thereby setting the schedule and pricing while
the consumer is left without a choice. "In most parts of the world, that's
not allowed," he said adding that Governments in other countries have in
fact intervened when major carriers seek alliances which have the effect of
taking away the edge of competition.
Moreira, who was previously the CEO and President of Air Jamaica Express
said the business model of Caribbean Star is very dynamic, putting the
interest of Caribbean nationals and tourist at the heart of it.

He said a tourist arriving from the United Kingdom, traveling from Barbados
to St Vincent sees the short hop-over flight as part of his experience.
"And if that experience on that carrier is substandard, the service in
terms of reliability, in terms of product, the aircraft is old, that's the
sort of memory he will have." Moreira also said that most carriers have a
business model that takes wealth away from the Caribbean. He said the
business model of Caribbean Star is to bring wealth into the Caribbean by
bringing more people to the islands. "In turn we all win, the economy
improves, there's more jobs and in turn people will want to travel more
inter-regionally."

Always challenging itself, the airline boasts of having an excellent
on-time performance in excess of 90 per cent, way above the industry
standard of 68 per cent. The airline actually promises to give free flights
to passengers if the planes do not depart on time. So far, the airline has
given free tickets to about two per cent of its customers. Caribbean Star
also has multilateral agreements with airlines such as Air Canada, British
Airways, Virgin Airlines, US Air, Air Jamaica and American Airlines to
allow for seamless regional connections. Late last year, Caribbean Star
applied for a licence to provide service on the Trinidad and Tobago
airbridge. The airline already provides a twice-daily service to Tobago,
seven days a week from international flights arriving in Barbados. "We have
received very, very positive response particularly from the public and some
government agencies and we look towards providing service in that market
once our application is approved," said Moreira.

"Again our goal is strictly to provide the consumer with a choice and
provide them with a better service product that they're not accustomed to
right now," he said. The next big market and challenge for Caribbean Star
is the US market.
According to Moreira, Stanford has another company called Caribbean Star
Inc airline which he wants to put into service towards the end of the year.
"That will provide a link between the US market that is crucial to our
tourism product in the Caribbean. That's the next big step for us and we
will be announcing some alliances with international carriers and that
again is to enhance the tourism product to allow more people to enjoy the
Caribbean islands."
A tall order, but one which Moreira believes is not too difficult to
achieve.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@escape.ca
Trinbago site: http://www.tntisland.com
CBSC Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeansocabrassconnection/
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(HCL) http://www.hcltt.com/
(HCL Group of Companies)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://search.co.tt