Re: SF Gate: Northwest recalling more employees, retiring DC10s early

What is the usage level on these birds? Are they destined for passenger
use or will they be snapped up by the cargo boys and converted to
freighters?

[snip]
   Anderson also announced that Northwest will be retiring the remainder
of its 21 DC-10-40 aircraft by the end of September to save money. Most
of those three-engine planes are being replaced by more efficient
twin-engine Boeing 757-200s and 757-300s, he said.
   "We had intended on operating them a bit longer, but given the
environme= nt we thought it prudent to go ahead and retire those at the
end of the summer season," he said.
   In trading Wednesday on the Nasdaq Stock Market, Northwest shares
were up 8 cents to close at $18.65.

=20
Copyright 2002 AP