Re: Airline Travel Agent Commissions

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:19:55 -0500, you wrote:

>At 10:29 PM 3/25/2002 +0000, Roger Chung-Wee wrote:
>>On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 15:11:01 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>>Let's paint a little scenario. Say that you work for a retailer - it
>>could be in insurance, finance, travel - doesn't matter. It's at the
>>month-end.
>>

>>"But could they possibly field all those direct customers?" "Don't be
>>daft. Even with increased internet sales, the number of reservations
>>agents - and all the associated expenses like wages, insurance,
>>accommodation, rent, electricity, etc - would have to increase hugely,
>>thus more than wiping out any benefits from not paying commissions."
>
>Interesting supposition. I'd say the airlines already have excess capacity
>in call centers; we all have heard of airline call centers that have been
>shuttered. You're saying that it'll be prohibitively expensive for the
>airlines to ramp back up to take the call volumes they'd have to take?
>
>Wow those airlines sure are stupid.

You are really not getting it, thinking as a customer but not knowing
the bigger picture The travel agents sell some 75 percent of most of
the majors' seats, and you can reckon on at least 15 percent sold by
other means, eg airlines' own web sites, other airlines. That leaves
at most 10 percent sold directly by the airlines. Even if internet
sales were to double, there is no way that any airline can ramp up by
five or six hundred percent to handle direct calls. And bear in mind
that it isn't just a matter of making bookings: there's a whole bunch
of other stuff that happens behind the scenes, eg refunds and payments
which the airline will have to handle. I'd hate to think how much
effort it will need to handle lots more payments directly instead of
the current BSP system which swipes money owed to airlines from
agents' bank accounts every month.
--
Visit Caribbean Aviation:
http://www.caribbeanaviation.com/