Trip/spotting report: PVD-FLL-PVD long

(I am writing the bulk of this report at gate 93 at
EWR.)

CO 1573 PVD 1:25p-2:30p EWR 735 N14662 seats 21A/B

Check in 2 hours ahead of time, way early. no lines.
generally friendly agent. After printing the boarding
passes, she realizes my Mom and I are not seated
together and makes the necessary changes. Small things
mean a lot nowadays. Security agents nice for once.
smiling and helpful in directing us. we let someone
know their friendliness is appreciated. hopefully that
will motivate them.

CO 1400 EWR 3:50p-6:48p FLL 753 N57852 seats 35E/F!

Man the 753 is long! Nonetheless, the flight was
pretty good. I was not expecting the small meal
service (sandwich, carrots, trail mix) and 2 beverage
services. To top it all off, they showed the movie
“Shallow Hal”, quite possibly the stupidest movie
ever, but I was impressed they showed anything at all.
A smooth flight with a gorgeous approach to FLL with a
dynamic sunset among white puffy clouds.

One little anecdote about this flight: I had gotten up
to take some shots of the cabin of this long plane
soon after the flight attendants went to the front of
the cabin to start the lunch service. As I was waiting
for the right moment, one lady kept turning around to
watch me. I sensed that she was apprehensive at what I
was doing and tried my best to convince her that
taking pictures of planes/insides of planes was purely
personal…I even pointed out that I was traveling with
my Mom. She probably thought I was a little more than
a freak, lol.

CO 1500 FLL 1:05p-4:05p EWR 752 N57111 seats 17E/F

Smooth check in. Our agent was also attentive and
noticed my Mom and I weren’t seated together and made
the necessary changes. In addition, my Mom’s bag was 5
pounds overweight. He was extremely nice in
diddly-daddling around for a few moments while so the
agent next to him got occupied with someone else and
ultimately let the bag go through w/o us having to
pay. Again, little actions such as this one mean a
lot!

Too bad seat 17 is right over the wing otherwise I
would have had some nice overview shots of the FLL
terminals, haha. The boarding process for this flight
was unbelievably smooth. Normally, these S.Florida
flights to the North are jam packed with rowdy
passengers but this time, the agents were more than
classy and the passengers were well behaved, haha (I
am watching an ATA 738 land on 22L as I write this).
The flight attendants on this flight were comical,
which made for a comfortable/relaxed yet still formal
service. The purser’s tone and word choices were well
chosen. (I don’t know if many people actually do this,
but I am one to pay close attention to the way in
which announcements are made, whether they’re well
articulated, whether the tone is right etc.) Inspite
of the heavy winds around EWR, a fast flight got us in
15 minutes earlier than scheduled.

CO 567 EWR 7:40p-8:45p PVD N—655 seats 11C/15F

It’s interesting how the schedules get modified all
the time, usually with more time. It does not take 1
hour 5 mins to get from EWR-PVD in a 735, lol. Makes
those “early” arrivals seem very “early”. Cheaters.
Hehe.

The boarding process started off a little shady when
the intercom wasn’t working at our gate, go figure,
PVD gets the crappy gate. Haha. Then, after a few
passengers get on board, they decide they have to stop
the boarding process to wait for security agents
because there were none there! After a gate
coordinator showed up and tried his best to get some
agents but to no avail, he decided to go ahead and
continue the process. Nice. (It was indeed strange
that there were no security agents there.) Once on
board, there was an unnecessary seat confusion as
three punks (literally) decided they’d sit wherever
they wanted. They didn’t understand that on a full
flight, it’s best to sit where you’re assigned. The
delayed boarding process and confusion of seat
assignments created a 25 minute delay, no push until
8:05p. A short ½ hour no-service flight up to PVD got
us in only 10 minutes after the scheduled time. See
how that 1 hour 5 mins comes in handy!?

A little spotting report from MIA/FLL:

Good parts and bad parts about MIA. Good part: Met up
with the people known as “The MIA boyz”, always nice
to meet up with them. I was also fortunate to meet
another “legitimate” (as he called himself)
photographer. Suffice it to say he’s one of few who
can shoot ramp in the mid-East. For a 21-year old who
doesn’t get ramp where he goes, it’s fun to meet nice
reputable guys. The one bad part: Unfortunately, I was
able to get to MIA only once. (Darn it, a BA 777 with
the “Whale Rider” tail just landed 22R L). There,
during the 5:30pm AA push, some clouds decided they’d
cover up the sun for us spotters. How rude. Didn’t
even get too many AA 727 shots, but hey, what can one
do? It’s funny though because the rest of the time I
was down there, I was on Miami Beach and I would see
everything taking off…seeing the BA 744s in the
Delft-Blue Daybreak and Waves tails from the beach
hurt a little bit, lol. But hey, I was with friends
who probably wouldn’t want to join me for an afternoon
at the airport.

As for FLL, I went there a total of 4 mornings to play
“catch up” on things I haven’t been able to shoot
since being back from a year in France. Fortunately, I
was staying with my Uncle who had a 6-ft. ladder, so
that helped, enormously. There were spotters of all
kinds, not a lot, but I certainly wasn’t alone. It’s
nice when people introduce themselves and people
aren’t so “hush hush” or exclusive when spotting. It
makes the “sport” of spotting much more enjoyable.

Subjects to note: Laker 727 silver tail ex-AA, ex-TWA
757s (no hybrids L), Frontier 733s, all white
Express.nets, a Patriot 732, CO 753s…and just a lot of
catching up on things like DL 764s, Spirit MD-80s with
the flags/web titles, SWA 73s in o/c (come to think, I
never saw one in the new colors, nor the 10th
anniversary Spirit maddog), US 321s, etc. (And to top
off the subjects taking off here at EWR, an SAS A340.)

Thanks a lot for reading! Only 27 rolls worth of
slides to come…Happy spotting,

=====
-Christopher Liao
Pawtucket, Rhode Island