Re: SQ/TPE

Dear James and Walter

Right now, this is the position. The report is going to be released next
month and it will blame the pilot for using the wrong runway. No surprise
there. But the other question is was he mislead into using the wrong runway
because of wrong/missing signage, lighting, etc? This has not been revealed.

Part of the problem of getting to the bottom of this was while Singapore
Airlines was allowed to take part in the investigation, it wasn't allowed
to be part of the team that churned out the report. International air
regulators deem that SQ should be in that phase but since Taiwan isn't a
sovereign country, such rules do not apply, so they say.

Is it a can of worms? Yes, says SQ as they have been shut out of the major
part of the report and therefore may have to take total blame.

Incidentally, the wrong runway the SQ plane took was reopened last month as
a dedicated taxiway. The broken white lines that indicated runway status
have been redrawn as a continuous yellow line to indicate taxiway status.
It has also been renamed NC. The yellow lines were also outlined in blue in
accordance with ICAO standards.

Before the crash, the taxiway had both taxiway lights and runway lights, as
it was used as a taxiway as well as a reserve runway.

I can't comment on the prison terms as I don't know of such. Could you
enlighten me on this? I know the cockpit crew were held in Taipei after the
accident and only released after protracted negotiations.

Russell