Royal Aruban Launches on 3/28

>From Curacao Amigoe.com, 11 March, 2002

(Aruba) Royal Aruban Airlines will hit the skies on March 28th.

ARUBA

It is apparent from the website of the new Airline Company Royal Aruba
Airlines (RAA), that their first flight is planned for the 28th of March.

In the first instance they will start with flights between Aruba and Bonaire
and Aruba and Curacao and in a later stage, April 25th, between Aruba and
Las Piedras, Aruba and Maracaibo, Bonaire and Las Piedras, Bonaire and
Maracaibo, Curacao and Las Piedras and Curacao and Maracaibo.

Inquiries on the Managing Director of RAA, Marcel Wouterce, indicated that
March 28 is a concrete date for the startup of the Company. “ We are working
from every nook to meet this date. Our two airplanes yet need to be sent
from Germany and the United States to Aruba and spray-painted with the right
colors.

Following, the pilots need to make some training flights with these planes.
Half of the pilots already did the necessary flight simulations, while the
other half are currently finishing theirs in Paris.”

However, Wouterse pointed out that, meeting the date of March 28 for the
first flight, is linked up with a lot of factors.

“If one of these factors goes against, then we will probably not meet the
date. But we will do our utmost to execute the first flight on March 28th.”

Apart from the short flights between the islands and Venezuela, also flights
between Aruba, Paramaribo and Amsterdam is wishful, of course with a bigger
plane.

RAA thinks that there is a need for transatlantic flights via Surinam.

“The people from Aruba continually have more money to travel and we think
that we can fly for attractive prices,” says Wouterse.

According to the air traffic management, two permits are needed for an
Airline Company to fly from Aruba

First an economic permit is needed. Based on a business plan and a financial
plan, a company needs to proof that it can operate for three months without
taking possible profit in to account.

“At this moment the Governor has to sign the necessary documents for the
economic permit for RAA,” says Chris Dammers of the Airline Management.

Also an Airline Operating Certificate is necessary in order to fly.

The Airline Management also issues this certificate. To obtain the
certificate, the handbooks and also the training of the pilots need to be
approved and a technical inspection should be in place.

The Airline personnel need to demonstrate that they know how to use the
handbooks.

Finally, the pilots need to proof that they can handle situations like,
engine failure, deviation to other airports and a possible hi-jack.

RAA did not meet all these requirements yet, to get the permits.