Trip Report: ITH - PIT

March 10, 2002: US Airways Express (Operated by Allegheny) 3729, ITH -
PIT, Dash-8

Lots of firsts on this trip: first trip to Pittsburgh, first fight on a
Dash-8, first trip out of Ithaca/Tompkins Regional. Flight delayed about
45 minutes due to late-arriving aircraft from Pittsburgh. Weather was
pretty unsettled between Pittsburgh and Ithaca and the Dash only cruises
at 16,000, so it was pretty rough for much of the flight. Earlier
flights were so bad that several people were sick on the aircraft. That
is always great to hear as you are sitting in the terminal waiting to
go.

My flight was actually pretty smooth--only sustained turbulence was
during descent into Pittsburgh. Flight was approximately 1 hour, 20
minutes (as promised). Impressed with the Pittsburgh airport: much
bigger than I expected and the "Airmall" in the center of the four
concourses is an interesting concept. The separation of
ticketing/baggage/security and passenger gates by an underground tram
was also something new for me, but I have to admit that I liked it. I'm
sure the FAA likes it now, as well, since it helps keep people out of
the terminal.

Pretzels and drink service. Aircraft 80% full.

March 11, 2002: US Airways Express (Operated by Transtates) 5260, PIT -
ITH, ERJ

Another first, this time on an Embraer Regional Jet. Aircraft was pretty
dirty and in need of some attention (seats were torn, armrests damaged,
etc.). Overall, I think I like the CRJ better--the 1x2 seating makes for
a noticeably narrower cabin (at least it seems that way). Reminded me a
lot of the EMB-120, for obvious reasons. Windows are bigger on the ERJ,
which is a plus

Not sure how long some of the stores in the Airmall can hold out. I was
there in the heart of the afternoon and the terminal was pretty empty.
Plus, the store selection seems odd: how many people are going to buy a
Mont Blanc pen at the Pittsburgh Airport?

No idea why this flight was about 20 minutes late. I'm guessing
late-arriving aircraft, but the US Airways staff never kept us informed
of anything. Aircraft was maybe 25% full--lots of empty rows. Same
pretzel and drink service as on the way down.

Overall, nothing great to report about US Airways Express. But then,
I've got nothing bad to report, either.

---

ITH: Ithaca, NY
PIT: Pittsburgh, PA