NYTimes.com Article: Animosity Over Different Fares for Different Travelers

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Presenting the reloadable Starbucks Card.

The Starbucks Card is reloadable from $5 - $500. Fill it up. Use
it. Use it. Then, fill it up again.
https://www.starbucks.com/shop/reload.asp?ci=672

Animosity Over Different Fares for Different Travelers

March 6, 2002

By JOE SHARKEY

Don't as a rule write complaint letters," said Robert C.
Julian, a very frequent business traveler who is the
president of the Power Procurement Group, an
energy-contract company based in Montana.

But write one he did. Two weeks ago, Mr. Julian fired off a
letter to Delta Air Lines (news/quote), cogently laying out
fundamental grievances he says business travelers have
about "discriminatory pricing" and about the way airlines
treat them.

Basically, he contended, Delta and its competitors have
devolved into impersonal commodity suppliers who employ
"ticket price roulette" to try to fill planes. "Most
notable has been your insistence on clogging our air-travel
infrastructure with cheap tickets for infrequent
vacationers while attempting to recover your revenue
shortfall by gouging business travelers," he wrote.

Delta's executive vice president for marketing, Vicki B.
Escarra, promptly replied with a similarly cogent letter
responding to his points. But first we will hear from the
complainant, who has flown more than 2.5 million miles on
Delta since 1987, and belongs to the highest level of its
frequent-flier program, the one reserved for those who log
over 100,000 miles or take 100 flights annually.

Though his beef is with Delta, Mr. Julian said in a
telephone interview that it could be made with equal
justification to any of the major airlines. The airlines,
he said, "simply don't realize the animosity and the
outrage of the commercial business traveler" over high
fares and the "ridiculous" way the carriers set those
fares.

"You have designed your prices to reward those who pay the
least (vacation travelers) and penalize those who pay the
most (business travelers)," he wrote. "Even more
troublesome is the fact that your prices and rules seem to
change by the hour, and that you promote highly variable
prices through obscure distribution channels (Internet,
discounters, consolidators), practices guaranteed to enrage
your best customers."

Mr. Julian is certainly not alone in his complaint, which
has been brewing for years among business travelers who can
pay as much as seven times what a leisure traveler would
for the same airplane seat. The disparities, and
resentments, have only deepened in the last year as
airlines have been sharply discounting leisure fares on
selected routes in attempts to fill more seats as overall
travel lags.

"The airlines have got to start paying attention to people
like this guy," said Kevin P. Mitchell, the chairman of the
Business Travel Coalition, a trade group whose e-mail
newsletter posted Mr. Julian's letter last week.

"He represents the No. 1 important airline customer, and
what this shows is that the airlines are moving these
customers from being frustrated to being angered to being
almost radicalized," Mr. Mitchell said. "This guy has had
it."

A Delta spokeswoman said that the airline would not comment
beyond Ms. Escarra's reply to Mr. Julian on Feb. 28.

Ms. Escarra wrote that Delta designed fare structures to
"balance supply and demand" for seats. "We always strive to
determine what the market will bear for each seat and to
set the price accordingly," she said, adding that available
airline seats are "perishable products" that have "zero
value" if they are still empty when the plane takes off.

Leisure travelers are far less demanding on scheduling, she
said. Business travelers "demand a high level of
flexibility in scheduling and often wait until the last
minute to book their tickets," she continued. Also, she
added, many leisure travelers, "may be unwilling or unable
to fly except at deeply discounted fares."

Mr. Julian said that Ms. Escarra's response simply
underscored his contention that airlines are subsidizing
unreasonably cheap leisure travel while charging the
highest possible prices to business travelers in attempts -
notably unsuccessful lately - to fly profitably.

"Their view of life is if they don't sell a seat they've
lost revenue, and indeed they have," he said. "But if they
sell that seat so cheap that they then have to make up the
price difference with another sector of customer, the
business traveler, then it is essentially an indirect
subsidization of the vacation traveler."

The airlines' breathtakingly complicated yield-based
pricing structures, in which most customers are unaware of
how fares change literally by the hour until the plane door
closes, "is antithetical to everything we do in a normal
business environment," Mr. Julian said.

"When we do commerce, you and I and everyone else in the
business- place except the airlines, it's typically a
sensible, logical transaction," he said. "You can
understand what's going on. But the airline fares
transactions? The average person on the street has no idea
what's going on - while business travelers say to
themselves, this seems to be upside down. The more I spend
the more I get charged. And I can't control it? I can't
hedge it? I'm at the mercy of this cartel?"

Mr. Julian said that as a small- business executive, "I'm
awfully sympathetic to the difficulties of running a
complicated business." Airlines face huge public and
governmental demands and small profit margins, even in the
best of times. "Those guys really have a tough job," he
acknowledged.

But there the empathy ends. Mr. Julian has indeed had it,
to the point that he is now flying a third fewer miles and
looking for bargains. Air fares, he said, are the largest
sustained expenditure he has ever made for any product or
service. But lately, the airlines have made it clear that
the business traveler is just a patsy, he said.

"In commerce, brand loyalty is a cherished commodity," he
said. "I used to look at Delta as an integral business
partner, but not anymore. I'm no longer brand loyal at
all."

He added: "It's basic business, right?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/06/business/06TRAV.html?ex=1016450910&ei=1&en=b234c81ecbc7682f

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company