unsub adjld14410@xxxxxxxxx

--- Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU> wrote:

> Topics in this special issue:
>
>   1. GAO, Airbus Clash Over A380 Upgrade Costs For Airports
>   2. AIRLINE Digest - 3 Mar 2002 to 4 Mar 2002 (#2002-117)
>   3. All-white SAS 767
>   4. Airline exec may be arrested on terrorism-related charges
>   5. Italian Plane Passengers See Flames, Vote to Land (2)
>   6. Next Gen Supertug (3)
>   7. Challenge Air Cargo (2)
>   8. SF Gate: Business flights stuck in doldrums/Ticket sales low despite
>      amazing host of amenities
>   9. SF Gate: High cost of last-minute flights/But there are ways to avoid
>      budget busters
>  10. SF Gate: MOTHBALLED IN MOJAVE/Desert airport becomes post-Sept. 11
>      jetliner ghost town

> Date:    Tue, 5 Mar 2002 00:46:49 -0500
> From:    Roger & Amanda La France <lafrance@verizon.net>
> Subject: GAO, Airbus Clash Over A380 Upgrade Costs For Airports
>
> GAO, Airbus Clash Over A380 Upgrade Costs For Airports
>

> By Stephen Trimble/AviationNow.com
>
> 04-Mar-2002 5:01 PM U.S. EST
>

> Airbus and the General Accounting Office [GAO] are locked in a $1.6 billion
> disagreement over the estimated costs of preparing the first 14 U.S.
> airports for the A380.
>

> A GAO report released Monday projects that 14 airports likely to service
> Airbus superjumbo jet by 2010 must pay nearly $2.1 billion to upgrade
> infrastructure, such as runways, taxiways and terminals.
>

> The A380, due to enter service in 2006, boasts a wingspan 48-feet wider than
> rival Boeing's 747 and a capacity to haul about 150 more passengers.
>

> The GAO report included a stinging rebuttal from Airbus Deputy VP Didier
> Puyplat, who argued airports must pay only about $520 million to complete
> A380-related improvements.
>

> "It appears that these costs are not the result of detailed analysis,"
> Puyplat wrote to GAO, "but rather reflect extremely rough and inconsistent
> estimating."
>

> A key dispute involves GAO's $1.2 billion price tag for upgrading Los
> Angeles International Airport, an estimate provided directly by LAX
> officials. Airbus claims the true cost is $263 million - a figure gleaned
> mostly by dismissing 90% of the cost for a $906 million runway expansion
> project as unrelated to the A380.
>

> In addition, Airbus said most infrastructure upgrades identified in the GAO
> report reflect each airport's natural growth and should not be tied to the
> A380.
>

> Indeed, GAO acknowledged most airports plan to apply for modifications to
> the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration's design standards in order to
> accept A380s.
>

> But some standards aren't negotiable, GAO said, citing, as an example,
> maximum weights for taxiway bridges.
>

> GAO compiled the report from surveys sent to 23 airports in July. Of those,
> 22 airports responded and 14 reported being likely to service A380s by 2010.
>

> Here's how much each expects to pay for infrastructure improvements, as
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

=====
"If you go back to the beginning of this country, the
great strength of America, as de Tocqueville pointed out when he came here a long time ago, has always been our ability to associate with people who were different from ourselves and to work together to find common
ground."