United Baggage tag issues

I have an interesting UAL baggage question.

I was originally booked YVR->DEN->ATL but at check-in I changed my
routing to YVR->ORD->ATL as the inbound plane was going to be late going
to Denver.

My bag was tagged to match my new routing through Chicago, and it went
down the luggage chute.

The layover in Chicago was well over an hour.

On arrival in Atlanta, my bag was FIRST off the plane with a NEW luggage
tag. The tag was printed in Chicago, and the time stamp indicated it was
printed while I was also in Chicago.

The old one was replaced with a new one indicating just the ORD->ATL
flight (printed with a red outline), there was also a blue sticker
labelled "United REROUTE" with the same flight number as the underlying
(NEW) baggage tag.

Any ideas?

Matthew