Any truth to this?

With Africa being Africa, I wouldn't actually doubt it, but this is claimed
to have been in The Standard in Kenya...unsure of the date.

Can anyone confirm if it is true or not?

Cheers

Scotty

3. The Standard (Kenya):

"What is all the fuss about?" Weseka Sambu asked a hastily convened news
conference at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. "A technical hitch
like this could have happened anywhere in the world. You people are not
patriots. You just want to cause trouble." Sambu, a spokesman for Kenya
Airways, was speaking after the cancellation of a through flight from
Kisumu, via Jomo Kenyatta, to Berlin: "The forty-two passengers had boarded
the plane ready for take-off, when the pilot noticed one of the tyres was
flat. Kenya Airways did not possess a spare tyre, and unfortunately the
airport nitrogen canister was empty. A passenger suggested taking the tyre
to a petrol station for inflation, but unluckily the jack had gone missing
so we couldn't get the wheel off. Our engineers tried heroically to
reinflate the tyre with a bicycle pump, but had no luck, and the pilot even
blew into the valve with his mouth, but he passed out. "When I announced
that the flight had to be abandoned, one of the passengers, Mr Mutu,
suddenly struck me about the
face with a life-jacket whistle and said we were a national disgrace. I
told him he was being ridiculous, and that there was to be another flight
in a fortnight. And, in the meantime, he would be able to enjoy the scenery
around Kisumu, albeit at his own expense."