Re: In defence of FF

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Donald Mamula wrote:

> Let's see....if she can't reach them to put them on, I guess that doesn't mean
> she can't reach them to light the heels.  How come I couldn't figure that one
> out....DUH!!!
>
> Egalitarianism should have its limits.

Allow me preface my response by saying that I believe the current
security is a sham that is tantamount to closing the barn door after
all the animals have left. First, the September 11 hijacking exploited
the "old" way of dealing with hijackers. If someone tried the same thing
tomorrow, the passengers would beat them to death--boxcutters or no
boxcutters. Second, the new restrictions are going to kill air travel.
Today I flew into RAP (Rapid City, South Dakota). They get a few RJs
a day. The airport is a modest building with a couple of gates. This
airport is in the middle of nowhere. But for crying out loud, you still
can't park within 300 feet of the building! Nobody is going to waste
their time bombing the Rapid City airport! Don't make these poor schmucks
walk a quarter mile to their cars in 10-degree weather! The policies
are out of control and have no basis in common sense.

Okay, now that I got that off my chest, let me switch into devil's
advocate mode. Sure, the infirm old woman doesn't pose a threat. But
what is to keep some unscrupulous ne'er do well from using their
grandmother as a mule? If the system appears to give preference to
old foagies, then that could end up being the next weak link in the
system that is just waiting to be exploited.

Jon Wright             jwright@halcyon.com       voice 425-635-0338
                                                   fax 425-844-1403
You've got a hard lip, Herbert.     http://www.spudboy.com/~jwright