Re: Fwd: Air Canada to Donate Douglas DC-9 to Canada Aviation Museum

This is nice to hear.  The last two DC-9s to fly in revenue service on Jan.
18 were C-FTLL (tail no. 711, MSN 47021) and C-FTMV (tail no. 747, MSN
47557).

TMV was delivered in May 1972.  However, TLL entered service in July, 1967.
Now think about it for a minute:  this aircraft served a single airline for
35 years.  THIRTY-FIVE years.  We often think of the DC-3 when we think
longevity but I defy you to find a single DC-3 that served the same mainline
airline for 35 continuous years.

Look at it in these terms:  in the period of time that TLL flew with Air
Canada (delivered during Expo67 in Montreal), Air Canada:

1) retired its last Viscount (1974)
2) retired its last Vanguard (1972)
3) retired it's DC-8-40/50s (1983)
4) took delivery of, and retired its DC-8-61/63/73 fleet (1967-1994)
5) took delivery of and retired its entire B727 fleet (1974-1992)
6) took delivey of and retired its entire L1011 fleet (1973-1996)
7) took delivery and retired it's entire 747 Classic fleet (1971-1998)

I'm glad to see that this longevity will be recognized by preservation at
the Canadian Aviation Museum.  I hope they deliver it by air.  It should be
spectacular, the runway at Rockliffe airport where the museum is located, is
only 3300 ft long.  They did take delivery of a CF-18 fighter recently (with
the help of a mobile arresting system).  Even for a light DC-9 that's a
pretty tight squeeze.

(for the private pilots on the list, you can fly into Rockliffe and park on
the museum's outdoor display ramp, right next to the outdoor displays, and
visit the museum entering through the back door; you go in the back door and
go to the front desk to pay your admission).

I'm going to miss the old Nines.  I've flown many a mile aboard them on
during my career of flying around Canada servicing paper machines.  I much
preferred them to the Boeing 737s.  Every pilot I spoke to who flew them
spoke of them with praise and affection.

Mike Gammon